Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

TN doe kill video

Old 02-09-2016, 08:26 AM
Spike

Default TN doe kill video

Me and my brother were hunting a small tract of land back at the beginning of gun season we were only about 150-200 yards apart and we both had the same deer come by us and both got it on video. I ended up dropping here just a couple minutes after she passed him. Pretty cool, check it out !
https://youtu.be/vjWZkG1TwjM
Old 02-09-2016, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

IMHO it's just another deer kill on video that also had to show it in slow motion! What, may I ask, was "pretty cool" about it and why is this younger generation so infatuated with showing kills on camera? I'm asking a serious question of both the OP and anyone else that can enlighten me on this and not trying to start a war or anything. Thank you and please let's be civil if anyone cares to comment!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 02-09-2016 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-09-2016, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
IMHO it's just another deer kill on video that also had to show it in slow motion! What, may I ask, was "pretty cool" about it and why is this younger generation so infatuated with showing kills on camera? I'm asking a serious question of both the OP and anyone else that can enlighten me on this since when stuff is put out on the internet you're obviously asking for comments Thank you!
Can't answer Top. Hunting for me is a private affair. Never had any reason to film it. Not saying I haven't taken pics of game after it was taken but I have no desire to film the actual hunt. Plus many of the vids being touted are in pretty bad taste and don't really show hunters in a good way.

This is yet another fad I'm more than happy to allow to pass me by.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:23 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
IMHO it's just another deer kill on video that also had to show it in slow motion! What, may I ask, was "pretty cool" about it and why is this younger generation so infatuated with showing kills on camera? I'm asking a serious question of both the OP and anyone else that can enlighten me on this and not trying to start a war or anything. Thank you and please let's be civil if anyone cares to comment!
For me I enjoy watching hunting shows but I get tired of the polished up sales pitch that most shows on tv now have turned into. I find it refreshing when I see a video of someone killing "just a doe" or killing a deer more for the meat than the antlers because I think that is more representative of most hunters out there. As far as my statement about it being "pretty cool" what I was referring to was how the hunt unfolded for me and to have my brother there not far away and us both seeing the same deer and being there together for the recovery, that's what made it cool and memorable for me. Plus she was delicious!
Old 02-09-2016, 02:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Fair enough and thanks for the reply! I agree with some of what you said and somewhat understand where you may be coming from, but I can't say that I find it "refreshing" to watch any of these "slow motion" kills that seem to be put up more and more by young people.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't think you quite understand what the criticism was about. You could have shown the same video without the slow motion of the deer being shot, or better yet without the impact of the bullet at all. That sadly seems to be the result of the stupid hunting shows on TV where they think they have to show the impact. I have been hunting since I was 12 years old, I am now one year short of 70. I have killed a lot of deer, how many, I don't know because I didn't keep track but take my word, probably more deer than the years you are old. I love hunting, I have lived and breathed hunting since before I was old enough to do it myself. However, I like everything about hunting other than seeing an animal die, I like it even less in slow motion. We are all hunters here, we know what it is like to see an animal die, it is disrespectful to the animal to show the kill in slow motion which denotes the most important part of hunting is the kill. The fact is, the most important of hunting is the act of hunting and anyone who does not feel a little bit of remorse while seeing an animal struggling to stay alive after being shot has no soul, and anyone who believes that seeing an animal die in slow motion is fun or interesting is not a person I want to know!
Old 02-09-2016, 03:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oldtimr---I think you have done an excellent job civilly saying exactly what is on our minds when we see these videos like we're talking about. I know we're very close in age (OLD!!!) and feel that the younger generation is gradually losing the reason why we hunt. Many seem to be growing up thinking the kill is the essential aspect when we go out in the field and all the shows now seem to push the theme that you have to take the biggest animal there is to succeed. Sure killing is the natural result of hunting, but it's sure not the main reason why all of us old timers were brought up. As I age I have found that I'm getting more and more out of mentoring young people and also helping others in their hunts when I don't even have a tag or am not even carrying a gun. I guess the kill is the sign of the times now and seems to be the main thing we see going out over the tube nowadays and IMHO it's a shame. I'm really glad the OP replied politely and in a way it seems that he still at least values some of what we were brought up with. If nothing else I hope that a thread like this gets a lot of the younger guys thinking about why they are really out there doing their thing and will look closely at what they are teaching their kids.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 02-09-2016 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-09-2016, 04:07 PM
Spike

Trust me it's about a lot more than the kill to me. I hunted 40 plus times this year and only killed 2 deer. If it was only about the kill for me I would have stopped hunting a long time ago. Also I would like to say I have been involved in a recovery of a poorly shot deer that was still alive when me and a buddy found it. That was a very tough thing to watch but we did what we had to do and finished the job. I hate seeing any animal suffer. I feel like if any kill should be shown in slow motion it needs to be a good clean kill. I seriously doubt the deer in this video felt a thing, she was dead when the bullet hit her. IMO one of the cleanest kills you will ever see.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

You're now missing the whole point of our posts! Why does anyone other than the person doing the killing or possibly someone he's hunting with need to see the actual kill and especially in slow motion? IMHO, as well as that of Oldtimr and flags, the killing of an animal is between the person and the animal, not the whole world to see an animal get clobbered even if it's the perfect shot that we all attempt. Whether that doe died the "perfect death" is not the point here. The point is that the world doesn't need to see these types of videos where the main thing always comes down to the kill shot and now it seems everyone has to show it in slow motion just like your doe taking the wallop! How anyone can see any value in these is beyond us!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 02-09-2016 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-10-2016, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I guess being right there with old timer in age and having a deer rifle no stock or forearm if I cut a notch for every deer I've put in the freezer.
I see no reason for it and sure do not see what the draw is for all the TV shows which are mostly done at fenced operations.

Used to be back when I was a kid those out door shows were real live public property of private farms hunts. They went so far as to explain the rifle/shot gun they were using and why even the ammo and why. the summer fishing shows they would explain the rig they were using and how to work it. Not any of those shows I have seen on TV these days.

Al