Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Basic gear for deer hunting?

Old 01-30-2016, 05:58 AM
Fork Horn

If you live in Alabama this is coming from a NW Florida Panhandle hunter. I hunt public land and hour from my house so I don't have a camp to drive back to. If you have money invest in quality stuff the first time so you don't have to keep buying new stuff:

Archery Season:

Bow, arrows, release aid if you use one

Don't need it but it helps.... Rangefinder

Treestand preferably a climber

I carry three flashlights two handle held one head lamp

50 ft of paracord for a pull up rope

two knives in case you loose one

hoodie and rain gear

Binos

Toilet paper comes in handy for the main reason and tracking game

Rifle season:

Rifle and ammo

rangefinder if you sit them clear cuts and get a 300 yard+ shot

Treestand and keep a chair in the back of your truck for if you sit planted pines or a crossing on a dirt road and there is not a tree to climb

three flashlights two handheld one a head lamp

orange vest and hat

50 ft a paracord

two knives

Gloves and a beanie for colds morning

Toilet paper

binos

Rain Gear keep that in the truck if it calls for rain for the evening then put it in your backpack

During rifle season I invested in a pair of artic shield bibs and artic shield jacket (onyx) line and all I wear to the stand in the morning when it is under 40 degrees is one pair of long johns, pants, one pair of long john shirt a hoodie. Keep my onyx gear in my back pack. Put the bids on before climbing and jacket when I get in the stand. I am toasty warm until I get down. It makes being on stand a lot more comfortable and I can sit a lot longer.

MOST IMPORTANT THING IF YOU HUNT FROM A TREESTAND BUY A QUALITY SAFETY HARNESS

One last thing for both seasons and you don't need it but sure as heck help especially if you walk in a mile to a stand...... A deer cart.

Last edited by Brandon_SPC; 01-30-2016 at 06:17 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Two of the more important things IMO are a good pair of boots and a pair of binoculars. Hundreds of things you can learn just by walking and watching.

Next most important is proficiency in whatever firearm (or Bow) you decide on.

Knowledge, learn to track and learn the habits of whatever you want to hunt. I look down and then I look around. You look down to see what is there (game tracks, evidence of feeding etc.) and you look around to try and discern their habits and haunts.

Who, what, where, when and why? Example, Who-Raccoon, what-foraging, where-in a ditch, when-evening, why-it is what they do and there are likely no predators around.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 01-30-2016 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Everyone has given great answers to get you started! A lot of what you carry in your pack will be the basics for whatever weapon you choose to use.
Don't forget food and water, flashlight and a butane lighter or waterproof matches. You can get by without a lot of things. But never go out without toilet paper (for obvious reasons) and it is also great for tracking and temporary marking that you don't have to back track to pick up, as it will disintegrate quickly! TP and a compass, compact enough to always carry!
It's not as hard as you might think to get turned-around, even in smaller patches of woods, specially if the weather turns and/or night falls!
Good luck and be safe! I'm sure with a good start, you'll be hooked for life!
Old 01-30-2016, 10:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Its amazing what the hunter thinks he needs to carry today. When I started hunting 50 years ago I'd go out wearing long johns, jeans, flannel shirt, wool socks and coat and a good pair of boots. I carried my rifle, ammo, a knife, drag rope, flashlight and a sandwich and apple. I'd be gone from dawn to dusk (unless I got one earlier).
Today it seems you need an ATV with a trailer to haul all the "necessary" gear in! Go out and enjoy yourself. Play the wind right and you'll be fine.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:41 AM
Typical Buck

being you are from down south I would suggest a good bug and tick repellant along with the other stuff already mentioned.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:34 AM
Spike

Central Alabama, I live in the capital of Alabama; The City of Montgomery.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Its amazing what the hunter thinks he needs to carry today. When I started hunting 50 years ago I'd go out wearing long johns, jeans, flannel shirt, wool socks and coat and a good pair of boots. I carried my rifle, ammo, a knife, drag rope, flashlight and a sandwich and apple. I'd be gone from dawn to dusk (unless I got one earlier).
Today it seems you need an ATV with a trailer to haul all the "necessary" gear in! Go out and enjoy yourself. Play the wind right and you'll be fine.
I'm grinning at this and adding a ditto. Of course it's up to you how complicated you want to make it. I'll add a compass, the type the military uses. I think it's called a lensatic compass. They're not expensive. A small roll of potty paper is probably a good idea. You never know. A sandwich and a small amount of water is probably good too. If we're going to be out for a while, my wife will make sushi rolls with egg and smoked fish inside.

I really advocate getting out in the woods and scouting. You should know the area almost as well as the critters who live there. We've challenged our daughters to lead us back to the parking lot a couple of times and they've succeeded.

I once lived in a place at the end of the road and this mama cat would come around every summer with a litter of kittens. She was friendly, but would not come inside. Anyway, I used to watch her lead her kittens off into the brush to teach them to hunt. So we do that with our girls (eight and almost six). We humans and cats hunt for fun. A cat will leave a full food dish to go hunt. We'll pass a dozen restaurants and grocery stores to hunt. Our family enjoys hunting as a pack. So do wolves.

If you want to get my wife ticked off, just mention all the guys you see hunting (or at the shooting range) without their kids.

Anyway, have fun. And the more time you spend in the woods, even if you're not actually hunting, will build your skills up. Believe me. It'll be a real thrill, the first time you get close enough to a deer for a shot and realize it doesn't know you're there.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:16 AM
Banned

all you need is weapon of choice , ammo, tag and license and knife(unless you just plan to gnaw it open to field dress it.). everything else is luxuory items
Old 02-23-2016, 12:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default For a beginner

There are more things in a big box store than there is money in most people's bank accounts.
Some learn to hunt with less; some never learn.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted in SE Alabama since 1974. Good advice already about club membership. That is about the best way to go here these days. GMA's are just OK .... usually very crowded during gun season. The issues with a club are going to be what you get for your $$$ and the personalities of the members. If at all possible, get in with folks you already know well and enjoy being around. And as I have found it to be, keep your expectations reasonable. Do not expect "deer haven" hunting in a club where 1something like 8-10 guys hunt 400-500 acres for a membership fee of $500 each. Good habitat with a high acres/member is not cheap these days. And figure in the cost of the set-up .... does it have a camp house or will you need something to stay in over night. Does is have a skinning shed, a decent internal road system, good food plots, etc. Can you use a truck on the property to get around or are there some restrictions? That sort of stuff can play into the overall cost for sure.

I would suggest you invest a few coins in decent binos. Not berating what anyone has already .... look at a middle of the road Vortex, Nikon, Leupold or something in that $200 price range as a minimum .... 8x40 is good enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.