Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

nothing here

Old 01-09-2016, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Deer don't have horns. Deer have antlers.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by AJCR2011
How on earth is that a "bad shot"?? The big guy was down within 50 yds, please explain how this is bad?
No where has it been said that it was bad shot, as the buck didn't go anywhere and died within sight. It was lying down and appears in the video to be facing toward the hunter at a quartering to angle, which is not the angle an archer looks for and it's the first I've ever seen of one shot while lying down. The arrow obviously hit something major to put the buck down that fast even though it looks like the shot was back a ways and possibly angling further back due to the quartering to angle it appears the guy had. I reviewed the video by going full screen and stopping it at several spots and it appears the fletching was on the right side while running and on the right side when he pulls it out, but the arrow should have entered the left side the way the deer and hunter were positioned at the shot. I hope others can view it closely and see what they think because I'm really confused other than at the outcome.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-09-2016 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-10-2016, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
Deer don't have horns. Deer have antlers.
Lol, this made me laugh.

Either way, crazy to see the antlers flying off on video, that was cool. And glad to see the deer went down as quick as it did.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

I suspect the antlers were very loose already, when the deer jumped and threw his head back they just flew off both at once, I don't think it was getting shot perse that made the antlers fall off, but rather sudden movement.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

hookeye---I agree with you 100% on everything you have mentioned and I did stop the video a couple more times again after my post last night. When the buck stopped running and turned to the left before it went down it looks like a very heavy bleed from the femoral artery in the ham that put that buck down quickly just like you stated!
Old 01-10-2016, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Shameful shameful shameful .I'm glad he posted the video as it was cool to see and something I will probably never see myself.
-Jake
Old 01-10-2016, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Shameful shameful shameful .I'm glad he posted the video as it was cool to see and something I will probably never see myself.
-Jake
Why mock the guy and his posts because everything he stated is the truth! The fact that the antlers came off is really insignificant if you look at the video itself in it's entirety showing a shot that shouldn't have been taken even though the guy got lucky and the buck died quickly. That's the problem with the internet and the ease of putting stuff up on youtube nowadays. It seems as everyone and his mother wants to get their name and picture in the limelight, regardless of whether what is shown depicts smart, ethical hunting or not. In this particular instance the fact that the buck luckily died a quick death was the only good thing IMHO!
Old 01-10-2016, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Amen hookeye, amen!!! Bucks lose their antlers at various times of the Fall and Winter and it just depends on the testosterone level of the individual animal. That appeared to be a big bodied mature whitetail that wasn't stressed other than possibly by the rut. Many times dominant bucks like that will lose their antlers before a lot of the younger, immature animals. Anyway, at the angle that buck was and laying in that deep snow there is no way IMHO that the guy could get a good view or shot at the vitals and he just lucked out with the good results of a poor decision.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-10-2016 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-10-2016, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Why mock the guy and his posts because everything he stated is the truth! The fact that the antlers came off is really insignificant if you look at the video itself in it's entirety showing a shot that shouldn't have been taken even though the guy got lucky and the buck died quickly. That's the problem with the internet and the ease of putting stuff up on youtube nowadays. It seems as everyone and his mother wants to get their name and picture in the limelight, regardless of whether what is shown depicts smart, ethical hunting or not. In this particular instance the fact that the buck luckily died a quick death was the only good thing IMHO!
I clicked on the thread title because it literally says "Video of horns falling off after a bow shot" I haven't commented on the shot selection, and don't really need to because that wasn't the point of the video. I will however..I myself would have waited. The deer was relaxed. I would have waited for it to stand up, or I would have attempted to move around to better my angle. The problem with the internet is that everyone believes they are an expert and if you don't do it their way you are wrong. Often times camera angles do no show what the shooter is seeing. I would not have taken that shot. And I fully appreciate seeing that video, it was pretty cool.
-Jake
Old 01-10-2016, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jake, if you're going to bold my comments to try and get your point across, please bold them in their entirety because not bolding the last part of my sentence takes the first part completely out of context. Nobody is arguing that seeing the antlers fall off like that wasn't cool, but any time someone comes on the internet on an open forum and makes statements or puts up a video there will obviously be discussion and various comments. This thread is a good example of that and now you have come on and agree with what a number of us have stated as far as the shot itself. None of us are experts, but it appears we all agree on the shot not being a good one from what we can see even though the outcome was good. Even if it was standing broadside and the guy hit it in the butt it is not considered the place you should shoot any ungulate. IMHO discussions like this are good in that a lot of us with decades of experience on many different outdoor things can more or less spoon feed the newbies and help them learn quicker than it may have taken us especially ones that don't have a good mentor helping them.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-10-2016 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Spelling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.