Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ark Needed - Deer Wanted !

Old 01-05-2016, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ark Needed - Deer Wanted !

My teacher/coach buddy from Cal. came to hunt with me again this year , at the usual time .... after Christmas school days off. He has come for 13 years now. This year, it was abnormally warm and it rained and rained and rained. Seluged at times !

I dumped approximately 13.7" of rain out of the rain guage ... which fell in the 5 days after Christmas! The week before it had rained apporximately 13.5" in 3 days. South winds the whole time we hunted except the last day. Temps in the mid to high 70's. Miserable !

One of the main bridges (20+ foot long, 12' wide steel bridge) and two 10' wide, 48" culverts at the larger creeks through the place are now washed out. The area I enjoy hunting most, we could not get to. Creek was out of its banks creating a 2 mile long flowing shallow river through the hardwood flat some 150-175 yards wide and as deep as 6'-8' in places that totally blocked the way. This flow stayed far too dangerous to cross for 4 days and was at it worse on the last that we hunted.

I have been in Alabama since 1974. I have never seen such a wet fall and winter (if you want to call it a winter).

We are 30% - 40% behind where we were this time last year in deer killed. Our main processor in the area had approximately 1400 dee processed by this time last year. He has not surpassed 850 as of Sunday afternoon.

I have been luckier than most of the guys that I hunt with .... took a nice, heavy buck and enough does to fill my freezer. But unless things pick up, this will go down as the worse seasons our group has had in decades.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man, that is alot of rain! I feel for ya. I bet they are stacked up on dry ground with food sources.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I feel your pain. I live in Athens, TX and it got so wet that we had fish sitting on the rocks waiting for it to dry up some!
Old 01-06-2016, 08:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

My buddy in Wyoming headed down south of Payson, AZ last weekend do a coues/mulie archery hunt with a friend that lives down there and it has rained every day since he got there. I just got an email and he said it rained so much over night that it is flooded where they are staying and they can't even get to their hunt area!