Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Chinese restaurant in PA under investigation, serving wild venison >

Chinese restaurant in PA under investigation, serving wild venison

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Chinese restaurant in PA under investigation, serving wild venison

Old 01-02-2016, 05:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by kidoggy
bettern cat I guess. I had a chinese lady here, who asked me how she could cook canadian thistles to eat.
Believe it or not but all thistles are edible and the Natives often ate them. You can peel the stalks and eat them like celery and the roots can be roasted. So her question isn't as crazy as it looks on face value.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by flags
Believe it or not but all thistles are edible and the Natives often ate them. You can peel the stalks and eat them like celery and the roots can be roasted. So her question isn't as crazy as it looks on face value.
oh, I believe you. just would not eat them unless life or death situation.
this woman I mentioned ,owned a restaurant and the thistles were growing in field behind it. I was delivering an ice machine when she asked me." what you do with thistles."
I answered," just cut em out with a shovel."
she said, " no . how you cook to eat?"
so I always wondered , was she gonna feed them to her costumers? I don't know but I NEVER AGAIN ATE THERE.
food sucked anyhow, so , no great loss, for me or them. I have never been one to eat out much. not really all that picky about what I eat, but I do like to KNOW what I eat. plus ,I have seen the crowd that works the kitchens in restuarants. was once in a kitchen in a mexican restuarant and a women was rolling out tortillas on her bare leg. she was not one hot senorita either, this gal was NASTY!

Last edited by kidoggy; 01-02-2016 at 05:44 AM.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

There are quite a few people who eat stinging nettles.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by kidoggy
oh, I believe you. just would not eat them unless life or death situation.
this woman I mentioned ,owned a restaurant and the thistles were growing in field behind it. I was delivering an ice machine when she asked me." what you do with thistles."
I answered," just cut em out with a shovel."
she said, " no . how you cook to eat?"
so I always wondered , was she gonna feed them to her costumers? I don't know but I NEVER AGAIN ATE THERE.
food sucked anyhow, so , no great loss, for me or them. I have never been one to eat out much. not really all that picky about what I eat, but I do like to KNOW what I eat. plus ,I have seen the crowd that works the kitchens in restuarants. was once in a kitchen in a mexican restuarant and a women was rolling out tortillas on her bare leg. she was not one hot senorita either, this gal was NASTY!
Thanks...and to think I used to like Mexican food or as my hunting buddy Dave says .....Armadillo on a plate.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

I actually like good Mexican food, we have a very good Mexican resturant near where I live and above it is a Peruvian resturant above it that has the best seviche I have ever had, especially their octopus seviche. However I would not eat Armadillo because it is the only animal that can give Leprosy to humans. Actually, it is only eaten in a few areas of Mexico.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:36 AM
Fork Horn

As long as the food is fresh, I'll try most any dish. It is better to know what you are consuming but most things are edible and when you don't ask you usually like the flavor of what you consumed. The thread started due to the restaurant serving poached venison (no pun intended) it wasn't the flavor or freshness it was the unlawful practice.

When participating in operation team spirit 81, South Korea. I went to a restaurant during liberty and ordered two burgers and fries. The burgers came and they were small so I figured there would be a need to order a couple more. As I started on the first one I noticed the meat was on the gristly side. The flavor was good but not as expected. I asked the waitress what I was eating, she stated a hamburger. I said I knew it was a burger due to having a sliced bun and meat in the middle. I asked what kind of meat, she stated dog. I asked what dog meant in Korean, she said dog. I replied with dog as in bow-wow and she said yes.....

As a good Marine, I finished my meal but did not order the additional Burger. Since that time I have always looked at other cultures with a willingness to try anything once, I would just like to know what i am consuming prior to eating.

If you will consume hotdogs, sausage, or canned meat you do eat anything and everything. I have some some true stories from when I was cutting meat at a store that would make you cringe....
Old 01-03-2016, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've read that here in the U.S., horse was sometimes used as beef for fast food burgers.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:51 AM
Banned

shore is lonely in the saddle since mah horse died.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I ate a pizza once in the Middle East that had ground camel on it. I don't recommend the camel since it tastes about like it looks!
Old 01-03-2016, 06:38 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Thing of it is, this Chinese restaurant perhaps had the best dog gone Chinese food you could find, being they did things their "own way". I make that guess based on other ethnic restaurants I have visited - if you want reheated pre-made mexican, go to a chain, if you want the real deal, go to a place where virtually nobody speaks English and the family members are in the kitchen preparing recipes handed down many generations. Food safety, on the other hand is another issue, which is why we have all these laws.

Edited: The "dog gone" was not intended as a pun, but now I see how it might be interpreted as so. Just in case the PC police are watching, my intentions were upright.

Last edited by MZS; 01-03-2016 at 06:41 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.