Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Binoc power for deer hunting

Old 12-23-2015, 04:14 AM
Typical Buck

Default Binoc power for deer hunting

Looking at 8-10x42 binocs for deer hunting and wondering what power to get. I like the 10x50 bc I get power and still have low light performance but they are just too big and heavy. So, I am back to 42s but wrestling w the 8 vs 10, more power will equal less low light but is 8 enough? Not sure what most of you use and why
Old 12-23-2015, 04:30 AM
Banned

well ,I don't know what conditions and circumstances call for with your hunting but personally ,I, would never even consider less then 8x42s.
my glassing usually involves seeing miles, not mere yards or feet.
if you are always in heavy brush and cannot see far distances, less may work fine for you. my thoughts on this is basically, don't settle for what works MOST of the time. much better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can get away with 8x25 in Indiana. The deer I am glassing are distances I could see without binoculars if it wasn't for the cover they blend in with. I believe quality has a lot to do with it as well. Quality 8x binoculars do better than a cheap 10X.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a pair of 7x50 and 10x50 and almost always use the latter because they are a lot newer with better glass and my eyes need all the help they can get out in Wyoming with the long distance glassing we do. With a good pair of shoulder straps I don't find either of them to be a problem weight wise and they are both heavy poroprism type.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:43 AM
Spike

I love the Nikon action series. I hunt the Cascade mountain range in Washington State. They won't drain your bank account. The best thing about them is in the morning and evening hunts, they bring in really good light. I can always see much better than my buddies can, when it's getting near the end of legal hunting times. Nikon has the free return policy also, for damaged products. Hint: the only downfall is, the zoom sucks. I never zoom in very far. They work great just how they are. I have the 10X22X50. I use them for blacktail up close, and Mule deer several hundred yards away.

Last edited by fumasgreg; 12-23-2015 at 06:45 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-23-2015, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Take a look here to see what your money can buy.........................

I use Nikon Monarch's 12X42 with a "good" harness - No weight issues and always at the ready !

http://www.opticsplanet.com/binoculars.html
Old 12-23-2015, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

A lot of good advice above. The best size bino for you would depend a lot on the terrain where you hunt. With shorter distances or a lot of brush, I tend to use an old pair of 7x30 Swarovskis. They're small, light weight, really good low light performance and seem to work very well for hunting in lots of brush areas. When the distance gets out past 300 yards or so, I find myself wanting a little more power.

What do your buddies use in the same kind of terrain? Maybe use a few of theirs on a scouting trip and see what power/size/objective you think works best for you in the terrain you hunt. Like Kiddogy pointed out, we don't know what kind of terrain you hunt in so it's kind of hard to give you a more specific answer tailored to your hunting terrain.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I carry nothing but 10X. For close in brushy areas I use a 10x25 Nikon and for more open country I carry a 10x42 Leica.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:50 AM
Dominant Buck

I have 8 X 32 Zeisse which due to small size is my choice for turkey hunting. I like them because they are small, fit into the vest with quality glass and useful looking for toms roosted at first or last light.

I have a Nikon Monarch 10 X 42 with a good halter support that I use deer hunting in New England and when I go out west for elk. Good glass with a cheaper price tag. I have used them for several years without any issues.

I have a Nikon 10-22 X 50 variable for use around the house. I live on Lake Champlain and often use them to zoom in on things out on the lake like loons or eagles in the trees. They are too large to hunt with but have good clarity especially at the lower magnification settings.

If I were to pick a good size for deer hunting I would opt for 10 X 42 in the best glass you can afford.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:41 PM
Typical Buck

Ok, thx for the opinions. I know what brand I'm getting but was struggling w the power. I think I will stick to 10. It's more power than I need most of the time but I tend to like getting up close w the animals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.