Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Binoc power for deer hunting

Old 12-24-2015, 03:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Years ago I bought 10x50 Minolta standard XL. I put a 2" neoprene strap on them and carry then comfortably all day long while hunting deer. I also use them in other applications.
But they are to power full for really thick timber for example a UP Michigan cedar swamp. I have found even 6x35 at the high end there was right on the broader line as to much.

Al
Old 12-24-2015, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is a argument me and my buddies have had for a long time. I prefer 8 power, but this is strictly based on where we hunt. We hunt in hardwoods and wood thickets mostly and I've found 10 power can be a bit much. Now if I were hunting open country more I would be leaning toward 10 or even 12 power.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like a pair of 8X binoculars for hunting whitetail deer. For a long time I used a pair of Zeiss 6X that worked just fine too but usually it is the 8X for me.

The only time I carry 10X binoculars is when the country is wide open and the distance is long - and for me that does not describe my whitetail hunting.

For me any binocular with an objective of less than 30mm is useless for anything other than sporting events.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer 7 power for less than 400 yards, if you keep them busy they will not fatigue your eyes, 500 yards I use 10x for the long range stuff I use my 12x minox
RR