Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Late Season Public Land

Old 12-09-2015, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Late Season Public Land

Looking for some advice in late season strategies. I hunt public land only and by the end of the season the nearby/adjacent crops/food sources have either been tilled or depleted. So I don't really have access to a food plot that is maintained for year round feeding. Add in pressure etc etc etc... What is the better time to hunt? Morning evening? I have read that evenings are best as deer are nocturnal and you have a better chance of catching them moving early etc... Any input?
Old 12-10-2015, 03:44 AM
Super Moderator

I use the same tactics all year long on public land. Scout as far back as you can get and set up on a well used trail. Here the forestry department plants food plots in August/September time and leave them out till they get tilled to plant the next years. If you find a food source that would be where I'd set up in the evenings. I find the morning hunts are better next to bedding areas or thick pockets of timber. Food source morning hunts are normally a no no here. Your more than likely to bust them off while getting set up. Here the biggest problem I have is quail season is going on so the hunters are running their dogs all over the place and most have no respect for the space of the deer hunter. I've even had them walk up to my blind and look in it while I was there. Good luck to ya
Old 12-11-2015, 12:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

If you are not in the woods your not seeing them.
Here it is legal 1/2 hour before sun rise and 1/2 hour after sun set. There is a chart to help you keep track of when sun rise and set is since it changes ever day in the Hunting guide.
Pack a couple sandwich's a beverage like coffee tea or water (I like tea laced with honey.) some small snacks like granola bars and spend the day in the woods near a good trail and a nice tree to prop your self againest for the day and stay still.

Al