Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What do you consider a big enough white-tail. >

What do you consider a big enough white-tail.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What do you consider a big enough white-tail.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Like my hunting buddy Rob said earlier it is location, location, location. Amazing what class of deer comes out of some areas. I suppose genetics, feed and intelligent deer management make the difference. I think the latter is responsible for the poor deer quality we have here in VT. Most of the trophy guys leave the state now.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:25 PM
Spike

Personally I think if you happy with the buck then it doesn't matter about score
Old 12-22-2015, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Asking what a big enough whitetail is like asking what is your favorite deer cartridge. It depends on personal preference and location.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love venison and love to fill my freezer. If a big guy comes along, I'll take him. Our deer here in Virginia are of a smaller gene. If it is legal, I'll shoot it!!!
Old 12-22-2015, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob
I love venison and love to fill my freezer. If a big guy comes along, I'll take him. Our deer here in Virginia are of a smaller gene. If it is legal, I'll shoot it!!!
From one Va.'n to another, would you like to see deer managed for quality over quantity, or, it's not a consideration from your standpoint?
Old 12-22-2015, 12:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

The quality of deer or a herd is also subjective as some believe quantity is quality. That is the problem with forcing one segment of hunters wants over another segments of hunters wants. as for me, so long as the herd is in balance with the habitat, I am happy. The way people manage deer on their own property is their business so long as it is legal. I do not believe the states should be managing deer specifically for B&C or P&Y buck.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
The quality of deer or a herd is also subjective as some believe quantity is quality. That is the problem with forcing one segment of hunters wants over another segments of hunters wants. as for me, so long as the herd is in balance with the habitat, I am happy. The way people manage deer on their own property is their business so long as it is legal. I do not believe the states should be managing deer specifically for B&C or P&Y buck.
Nothing more than conversation, Ot, seeing how the dept. has brought it up in the past. The present herd situation was a goal achieved by the the dept. and we'll see what they do w/their talk of changing it here. They seem to be rather calculated in this state. Whatever happens, I like that application method. I certainly agree that private land owners should totally be able to decide their own deer quality.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I surely understand that this is simply a conversation Game Stalker, what I posted is just my opinion and I know there are many who will not agree. I have never been caught up in big antlers, I try to shoot a big deer, it could be a big bodied buck or a big bodied doe. Whether it has big head gear is of no consequence, what is of consequence to me is that it has legal headgear if any.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I surely understand that this is simply a conversation Game Stalker, what I posted is just my opinion and I know there are many who will not agree. I have never been caught up in big antlers, I try to shoot a big deer, it could be a big bodied buck or a big bodied doe. Whether it has big head gear is of no consequence, what is of consequence to me is that it has legal headgear if any.
I said nothing about rack size. You must have missed my various posts about being a meat hunter. Some people may think that quality automatically means head gear. It also means reducing population to increase body mass in conjunction w/available food sources.(I know you're aware of this) Bigger deer like you mentioned above is what I'd like to see in this state. But I won't lose no sleep over whether things change or not.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have not missed your posts, I have no idea why you think my response was directed at you, it was not, it was just my opinion in response to the op and it would seem we are pretty much on the same page. I did not mention your screen name until I responded to your response to my post. I merely stated that quality management is very subjective depending on an individuals point of view and preferences. I have seen the difference in deer after they herd was started to be managed to be in balance with the habitat as opposed to managed for the most deer without any consideration for the habitat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.