Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What do you consider a big enough white-tail. >

What do you consider a big enough white-tail.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What do you consider a big enough white-tail.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

I'll pass on anything that I think measures less than 140.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:47 AM
Dominant Buck

As a result of a member complaint I have had to step in and do some moderating. Please remember to follow the rules.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:21 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Tikkachu
Now I'm not a rookie or anything but I am curious as to what people from different areas consider as a minimum B&C score for a shooter buck. Obviously it'll depend on personal preference, but I am curious. And wouldn't mind doing some statistical work which has probably been done already.
Here in NY, it takes a mininum score of 140 for gun to get into the big buck club. Most people that hunt public land will see only a few of those over many years. Private land is probably different. I would venture to say that most hunters would be happy to shoot anything that scored over a 100 and be happy to get it.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

All depends on where you are hunting. A 100" buck in VT is a good buck. A 100" buck in Iowa isn't even looked at. Like real estate, its location location location.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
All depends on where you are hunting. A 100" buck in VT is a good buck. A 100" buck in Iowa isn't even looked at. Like real estate, its location location location.
That is it.

Everyone has different sized deer where they live. Some areas have lots of bigger bucks (rack and body) and for others a big buck is 100". The thing I don't like... the guys in the areas that have giants, and many many 130"+ bucks often put down the guys that have to work really hard to kill a 100" buck. Like they are somehow superior hunters, when its really just a numbers game based on location for the most part.

Case in point... my good friend (who is a good dedicated lifelong hunter) moved to the midwest a while back. After many years of hunting in our area his biggest was about 115". He has killed probably a dozen P&Y bucks now with a bow, a couple near 160". Location helped him big time. He regularly passes bucks I might see only once every 20yrs.

I know this, if you hunted where I hunt... and held out for a buck over 140", its quite likely you would have never killed a buck in your entire life. Not saying there aren't some around, but its like finding a needle in 2 or 3 haystacks.

As I mentioned earlier, shoot what makes you happy. If holding out for a "good buck" for your area is what makes you tick, great. If shooting the first legal buck that comes by is your thing...great.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:05 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Thats a tough ?, some guys like smaller deer good eats, others horns or more meat.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

mudder, I'm with you. any buck is a trophy in my book. or should I say any deer is a trophy. I'm don't hunt for bucks with trophy antlers. any buck or doe fits my bill. I enjoy the meat and don't eat the antlers. lol. being from Pa. and having antler restriction here, I feel deer hunting hasn't been the same as it was when I was young. ill soon be 64 so ive hunted before AR and seen more bucks back then. just my opinion.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

A lifetime of deer hunting in VT meant any legal deer was the first one shot.

Most hunters got nothing. I believe the success rate was one deer per seven hunters! 1 in 7 only.

The only legal deer was one with a 3" long antler!

Here in CT does are legal at times. Better than nothing.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:44 PM
Spike

Default Nc

In Madison County it's a giant if it's over 120 inches most go about 80-100 if I had to guess it all depends on area
Old 12-19-2015, 11:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tikkachu
While I agree with hunting for meat, that wasn't the purpose of this post. Where I hunt I can shoot a dozen 200 pound deer in an hour easily. I always eat everything I shoot and I almost exclusively live off of wild game as a meat source. I hunt antlers as a challenge factor rather than being done in twenty minutes every season.
A dozen 200 lb deer in an hour, and, yet, you do it Easily? You have a hunny hole up there Tikkachu! Wow thats unbelievable. I'll just have to take my venison.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.