Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What do you consider a big enough white-tail. >

What do you consider a big enough white-tail.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What do you consider a big enough white-tail.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

In my area of MN if I were to trophy hunt I would look for a deer that is at least as wide as his ears, preferably outside the ears with good mass and tine length. It would be a deer that measures out 165 or better. I have always hunted with an 8pt minimum personally, now a legal buck in my area needs at least 4 pts on one side. I have taken one buck that meets my trophy mark and plenty of really nice deer that were in the 130-150 range.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

All I can say is ditto to those posts by flags, Champlain Islander, and Oldtimr. I couldn't care less about trophy antlers.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:15 PM
Spike

While I agree with hunting for meat, that wasn't the purpose of this post. Where I hunt I can shoot a dozen 200 pound deer in an hour easily. I always eat everything I shoot and I almost exclusively live off of wild game as a meat source. I hunt antlers as a challenge factor rather than being done in twenty minutes every season.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't do antler restriction, Just doesn't make sense to me. I don't really do any strict restrictions......I pursue what I like. That is usually 1 of 2 things.

Doe and yearlings when I just feel like taking it easy and just doing some simple hunting or an old mature educated buck.

Ive got deer on the wall from 200+inches to big drop tines etc.

A 144 inch 8 is the oldest, most elusive buck I have ever killed and it is not even close. Ive had bigger racked bucks walk right under me this year but they were no where near the class of animal he was.

No need to use restrictions really, Just pursue what makes you happy. For me that 144 inch 8 point that eluded outfitters and hunters (and me) around about every corner for 8-9 years made me happier than any other deer Ive taken.

I don't exclusively hunt mature bucks but doing so Is like adding another species to hunt because they are a very different animal.

Also there is no such thing as not for meat for me. I eat them all and Ive had big old bucks that were just as good eating as any deer Ive ever ate.

Last edited by rockport; 12-09-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tikkachu
While I agree with hunting for meat, that wasn't the purpose of this post. Where I hunt I can shoot a dozen 200 pound deer in an hour easily. I always eat everything I shoot and I almost exclusively live off of wild game as a meat source. I hunt antlers as a challenge factor rather than being done in twenty minutes every season.
I see your point and I probably shouldn't even have posted here. Different hunters have different goals. As long as we're all enjoying the hunt, it's all good.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:47 AM
Fork Horn

I try and "eyeball" a buck as it makes it way in...I adhere to the rule that if the antlers are outside of the ears...I'm going to take it. On the other side, I do not consider myself a "trophy" hunter....any deer that is killed...in my book...is a "trophy".
Old 12-10-2015, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where I hunt we don't have big bucks by most people's standards. Its just the way it is.
A 110" buck is a pretty darn nice one where I am, and there ain't a ton much bigger.

I shoot alot of deer...almost all does. When I do shoot a buck its really based on it getting my heart pumping and me thinking "that is a pretty good one for where I hunt". I don't care what it actually scores, that is irrelevant to me. I shot one that had a real nice wide frame a couple years ago...was an 8pt, but ended up it has 6 broken tines. He may have scored 110" or so had he not been busted up..but I was happy.

This year we took 4 "nice" bucks so far, one I actually hung a tape on because it was one of the 3 biggest we've ever taken at our place. It scored just over 118", basic 8pt with a split brow. Super nice for our area.

I've hunted alot and for a long time, through bow, gun, and ML seasons. Shot a ton of deer and passed up hundreds and hundreds of bucks - some years 40-50 a season. With so many hours spent afield, I can honestly say I've only ever seen a few bucks that would score over 120", and none that would likely make it over 130"...maybe 1. Our hunt club has hunted the same ground for 30yrs... biggest killed (with any weapon) is just over 120". Not saying they ain't there....but it certainly ain't like some other places around the country. And we let 90% of all the bucks walk...been doing that about 18yrs.

Its all about location, the size of bucks you actually have, and what you are happy with shooting. I don't care what someone shoots...as long as its legal and makes them happy. Many moons ago I stopped shooting small bucks where I hunt, now I just hunt for a nice one and shoot a bunch of does. But I have to be realistic...if I was holding out for a 140+ buck where I hunt... I'd likely not shoot another buck the rest of my life. On the other hand, I went to IL bow hunting one time a while back, and in 1 week saw about 8-10 P&Y class bucks...one was a monster. Didn't connect, but boy it was awesome seeing those bucks.

Some folks brag about shooting 125-130" every year, but they live in an area where that ain't much of a challenge for serious hunter....a 160" buck is a good one. That is like us killing 90" bucks, I could do that every season. Its all relative I guess.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:01 PM
Spike

That's the kind of replies I've been looking for. Here where I live, in Saskatchewan average bucks range in the 130-140 category I would say. And I've tagged multiple smaller bucks in my earlier years hunting.

Just three seasons ago I walked in to my spot to sit like usual and spooked up a really nice buck, he ran crosswind directly away from me so I bowed out down wind of him and looped around to the next trail through the thick hazelbrush. This trail was a half mile away from the first. Fortunate for me I had a hot doe in the area and he caught their trail in the bush and came out 200 yards down the cut. And that was my first "trophy class" deer, he scored 169 3/8 and weighed 199 pounds with the guts out and with hide and head off. After that rush of out smarting "sort of" an elusive deer that got away from me initially got me kind of hooked. I hunt, more like stalk, on foot and have never used a stand or blind or bait. I love the challenge and its helluva rewarding experience to come out on top in his domain.

Since that buck I have tried to do a 160 class or larger as my standard, and the last three seasons have got me a 169 3/8, 157 4/8 and just a month ago a 174 which is the first buck I'm taking to a taxidermist.

It's the rush for me and I love taking the biggest and baddest in their territory. Unfortunately I missed a 190+ the day before I got the 174.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's the kind of replies I've been looking for. Here where I live, in Saskatchewan average bucks range in the 130-140 category I would say. And I've tagged multiple smaller bucks in my earlier years hunting.

Just three seasons ago I walked in to my spot to sit like usual and spooked up a really nice buck, he ran crosswind directly away from me so I bowed out down wind of him and looped around to the next trail through the thick hazelbrush. This trail was a half mile away from the first. Fortunate for me I had a hot doe in the area and he caught their trail in the bush and came out 200 yards down the cut. And that was my first "trophy class" deer, he scored 169 3/8 and weighed 199 pounds with the guts out and with hide and head off. After that rush of out smarting "sort of" an elusive deer that got away from me initially got me kind of hooked. I hunt, more like stalk, on foot and have never used a stand or blind or bait. I love the challenge and its helluva rewarding experience to come out on top in his domain.

Since that buck I have tried to do a 160 class or larger as my standard, and the last three seasons have got me a 169 3/8, 157 4/8 and just a month ago a 174 which is the first buck I'm taking to a taxidermist.

It's the rush for me and I love taking the biggest and baddest in their territory. Unfortunately I missed a 190+ the day before I got the 174.
Often the biggest and baddest in their territory will not be the one with the biggest antlers

This is the dominant buck on my hunting property this year

this is another buck that was dominant

This buck was not dominant or even in the top 5 really

Last edited by rockport; 12-10-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I lived where you live, I'd do just as you described. Its about like what we do where we are, just bigger deer. Our mature bucks weigh about 125 with the guts out, but with the head and hide ON!
I'd love to get a deer the body size you are talking about. Our largest ever was 145 dressed, which was much bigger than normal mature bucks.

Good luck in your quest, you only have to make yourself happy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.