Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Broadheads?

Old 12-16-2015, 06:53 PM
Spike

Go on youtube and watch some videos on rage blood trail. There is one that says graphic where he shoots a doe in a field. That is what sold me on the rage broadheads. The blood trails are very easy to follow if you hit your mark.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:01 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by junyaah
Go on youtube and watch some videos on rage blood trail. There is one that says graphic where he shoots a doe in a field. That is what sold me on the rage broadheads. The blood trails are very easy to follow if you hit your mark.
And they fly like field points. Sounds cliche, but they really do fly well out of my Nitrum 34 - 70 lbs, 32" draw.

Shot a doe in September and she ran into some sudex that was between 5-7 ft tall. I'm 6'6" and found blood above eye level. Cut the top part of her heart off and blood was shooting all over the place! The sudex was thick, but I only had to travel about 15 yards into it to find her.

My buck was shot at 30 yds, ran a quick 20 yds or so and just collapsed. Blood was puddled around him. He was a double lung shot, shredded them! When you see the entry wound you will be amazed!
Old 12-20-2015, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Did NOT read all the posts here - so I expect someone already recommended these !!!

http://www.wacemarchery.com/
Old 12-20-2015, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

The broadhead market is way over complicated.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

I shoot rage hypodermics
-Jake
Old 12-20-2015, 01:51 PM
Spike

I just started shot my first archery deer with a Muzzy broadhead and it did the trick. I've also heard Rage is a good one also, but where I live its fixed blades only.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
The broadhead market is way over complicated.

Nawwwwwwww REALLLYYYYYYY What complicates it is more or less false advertisement. High speed compound bows started showing people that they HAD to have perfect tuning to shoot a fixed BH accurately and consistently. Old slow bows didn't show up the improper tuning AS BADLY as a 300+fps bow will. There are still a lot of BH's out there that flat out suck wind (good pun there don't ya think ) no matter how well your bow is tuned. I just experienced too many poor penetrating hits from mechanical BH's to ever trust them.

Criteria for a good broadhead is actually quite simple really.
1: Flies well in a properly tuned bow.
2: SHARP
3: Tough enough to penetrate light bone and not come apart on you.
4: Leave a good wound channel for faster bleedout.

Pretty simple really. Advertising and marketing makes it difficult.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by IdahoHunt
I just started shot my first archery deer with a Muzzy broadhead and it did the trick. I've also heard Rage is a good one also, but where I live its fixed blades only.
Hard to beat a Muzzy
Old 01-02-2016, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

My personal choice is Grim Reaper 100grn RazorCut. 1-3/8ths cut. Have taken hogs, deer, bear, elk, 'yotes and a record Catalina Ram. Only the elk traveled over 100yds and that's because he was going down hill on his way out!!!!!!! All the rest dropped within sight under 75 yds. Not 1 failure to open, impossible to happen. Open while going thru a piece of paper.