Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

tree stand advice

Old 12-01-2015, 04:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default tree stand advice

I've been hunting for over 25 years, but I've never used a tree stand. Now my little guy is nearing the age when I'll take him hunting with me. Given that he is only 9 years old (at least 10 by the time he hunts) and we live in Colorado where the terrain is rough, I'm thinking a two-man tree stand might be the way to introduce him to deer hunting.

Can anyone give recommendations on what features to look for?

I've glanced at them on the Cabela's web site. Because I'll be hunting with a kid, it seems reasonable to buy one with a padded back. What do you think? Brand names?

Does anyone make a safety harness that will fit a kid?
Old 12-01-2015, 04:34 AM
Typical Buck

Get a two man life line also.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Great that you are looking to get your son into hunting. Of all the tree stands a double ladder stand would be best but they are large and heavy to put into place. Great stand if you have hunting land and can leave it in place. Since your son is so young I would suggest getting a ground pop up ground blind which would allow him to move around like kids need to do and still supply a wind, cold and sun break. I personally don't think a youth hunter should be up in trees since there are some safer alternatives.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:41 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Great that you are looking to get your son into hunting. Of all the tree stands a double ladder stand would be best but they are large and heavy to put into place. Great stand if you have hunting land and can leave it in place. Since your son is so young I would suggest getting a ground pop up ground blind which would allow him to move around like kids need to do and still supply a wind, cold and sun break. I personally don't think a youth hunter should be up in trees since there are some safer alternatives.
Hmmm...ground blind. I hadn't thought of that. Can you make some recommendations? Cabela's has them anywhere from $150 to $650. Do you get what you pay for, or is there something that has better value?
Old 12-01-2015, 04:56 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree in hunting equipment you get what you pay for. Unfortunately I don't have a pop up since most of my hunting is either tree stand or still hunting so I can't recommend one. Generally the Cabela's stuff is pretty good. A pop up is a great way for a youth to get used to stand hunting. Since you haven't hunted out of tree stands yet a safety vest is certainly important and am glad you recognize that. If you get a pop up a couple of fold up back packer seats will be important for comfort. Bring plenty of food for the little guy.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

We use double ladder stands, love them - even for hunting solo which is most times. But, we have private land to set them up and leave them there. I'm guessing you don't. So ditto the ground blind suggestion. I don't own any so I can't recommend a specific model, but have set in a few that my buddies have. Bigger is better, imo....especially for 2 people.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:03 AM
Typical Buck

I would do a blind as well. Can hide a lot of movement. This is the blind I have. 2 people can fit in it with two chairs. I probably won't get any other blind. They go on sale every now and then. I paid 70 for it.
http://m.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Invisi-Bull-1-Person-Ground-Blind&i=787298&r=view&cvsfa=2586&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=37 3837323938&gclid=CjwKEAiAp_WyBRD37bGB_ZO9qAYSJAA72 IkgllQpWgtAD7YhngzTcHLL-_Kjwiw0lWpfd35MnoBQ9BoCIkfw_wcB
Old 12-01-2015, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Big Game dougle ladders are not all that expensive and work fine. Suggest you plan on wrapping cammouflage cloth (burlap, etc.) aroung the seat frame to hide some of the movement. As already said, be sure to use a quality fall restraint system.

Ditto .... A large sized ground blind is a great way to go too. Might be better right niow for your youngster .... a bit of protection from the elements, hides his wriggling about (tough for me as a 9 year old to remain still for long !) and there is no fall risk. Double Bull ground blinds are rather pricey but are durable and go up in nothing flat.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ameristep blinds are pretty nice I have a brick house you can put two people in it no prob
Old 12-01-2015, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I taught all my kids, from the age of toddler, ground hunting. I didn't allow them in a tree stand until they were able to set one up or use a climber on their own because of the safety issues. I figure if they are big enough and smart enough to set it up and use it then they are big enough and smart enough to stay safe with their usage as well. That being said, those doubles sure are nice. But as was already stated, they are BEASTS. They definitely are not for bringing in and taking out on a daily basis. I too suggest a ground blind for you and the little one. Or, if you will be hunting wooded field edges, camo netting that you can tie to surrounding trees serves a fantastic purpose as well as much easier packing in and out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.