Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

neighborhood gun-shoot

Old 11-28-2015, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default neighborhood gun-shoot

Every year now since the early 90's a friend of mine hosts a gun-shoot, a few weeks before White-tail rifle season. The rules are use the gun you hunt with, some guys have open sights, most have scopes. Usually 15-20 guys show up. We stand free hand and take a shot at a standing cardboard deer at 250 yards, as soon as you shoot, a running deer cut-out moves threw the brush at 100 yards there are 2 clear openings. You get 2 shots at the running deer, but when it hits the end of the string your done, wether you got your last shot off or not. You'd be surprised at the bad shots and even "buck fever", on occasion, as the shooter gets harassed a little, from the crowd. The winner has to buy pizza, with some of his prize money. It's real good practice for deer hunting, my boy hit the running deer in the rump, so he realizes the dangers/problems of shooting at running deer. I tied for 1st this year but lost in the shoot off tie breaker, it's good times!
Old 11-28-2015, 01:26 PM
Spike

That sounds like it would be a blast my question is how do you guys get it to move
Old 11-28-2015, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

That does sound like a lot of fun.

I am curious, too, about the way the "deer" runs.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

We cut a bicycle in two, took the tires off, we ancored each half to trees and run binder twine between them on the rims and attach the deer cut out to the top twine. We just work the pedel, and the pedeler is far away from the shooting, in case your wondering.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Sounds like a lot of fun. Years ago we used to have a novelty target in a 3d archery shoot. Target stapled to the edge of a rubber tire and let it roll down the hill. Hard to hit and even harder to haul it back up the hill.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

We used to do the same type of thing at a range club I was a member at in PA. Except we used an electric motor I rigged up with a remote switch. Had a guy go over to send it back since it was an older motor and more of a pain in the rear to set up a reverse polarity to send it back than it was just to have someone shoot over and send it. Just rigged a 100 foot extension cord into the circuit with a simple on/off switch at one end. Easy peasy. Little old motor would cost you around 20-30 bucks and I'm sure you have an old drop cord laying around. Just a simple on/off household switch and a box would be around 6 bucks max. Be much safer for you guys.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

The problem superhunt is the gun shoot is a good half mile across his cranberry marsh from any power. But like I said it's safe we are shooting at an angle and the Pedeler is a long ways off, we don't start the deer next to him. It is good practice for everyone as it simulates a deer running in the woods pretty accurately.