HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   neighborhood gun-shoot (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/402953-neighborhood-gun-shoot.html)

gjersy 11-28-2015 09:23 AM

neighborhood gun-shoot

Every year now since the early 90's a friend of mine hosts a gun-shoot, a few weeks before White-tail rifle season. The rules are use the gun you hunt with, some guys have open sights, most have scopes. Usually 15-20 guys show up. We stand free hand and take a shot at a standing cardboard deer at 250 yards, as soon as you shoot, a running deer cut-out moves threw the brush at 100 yards there are 2 clear openings. You get 2 shots at the running deer, but when it hits the end of the string your done, wether you got your last shot off or not. You'd be surprised at the bad shots and even "buck fever", on occasion, as the shooter gets harassed a little, from the crowd. The winner has to buy pizza, with some of his prize money. It's real good practice for deer hunting, my boy hit the running deer in the rump, so he realizes the dangers/problems of shooting at running deer. I tied for 1st this year but lost in the shoot off tie breaker, it's good times!

Daniel72 11-28-2015 01:26 PM

That sounds like it would be a blast my question is how do you guys get it to move

Father Forkhorn 11-28-2015 01:32 PM

That does sound like a lot of fun.

:fighting0007:

I am curious, too, about the way the "deer" runs.

gjersy 11-28-2015 03:26 PM

We cut a bicycle in two, took the tires off, we ancored each half to trees and run binder twine between them on the rims and attach the deer cut out to the top twine. We just work the pedel, and the pedeler is far away from the shooting, in case your wondering.

Champlain Islander 11-28-2015 04:02 PM

Sounds like a lot of fun. Years ago we used to have a novelty target in a 3d archery shoot. Target stapled to the edge of a rubber tire and let it roll down the hill. Hard to hit and even harder to haul it back up the hill. :lmao:

super_hunt54 11-28-2015 05:50 PM

We used to do the same type of thing at a range club I was a member at in PA. Except we used an electric motor I rigged up with a remote switch. Had a guy go over to send it back since it was an older motor and more of a pain in the rear to set up a reverse polarity to send it back than it was just to have someone shoot over and send it. Just rigged a 100 foot extension cord into the circuit with a simple on/off switch at one end. Easy peasy. Little old motor would cost you around 20-30 bucks and I'm sure you have an old drop cord laying around. Just a simple on/off household switch and a box would be around 6 bucks max. Be much safer for you guys.

gjersy 11-28-2015 06:54 PM

The problem superhunt is the gun shoot is a good half mile across his cranberry marsh from any power. But like I said it's safe we are shooting at an angle and the Pedeler is a long ways off, we don't start the deer next to him. It is good practice for everyone as it simulates a deer running in the woods pretty accurately.