Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Opening day buck...no antlers?

Old 11-23-2015, 02:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dragging a deer against the direction that the hair grows isn't too smart. You will pull out the hair where the deer touches the ground and create more friction than if you drug with the direction of the hair making the drag harder. I have seen a few dragged our back asswards and it wasn't a pretty sight. CI, I loop my rope around the neck with the front legs behind the ears so that they aren't touching the ground and it makes for easier dragging and the front legs do not catch on anything along the way similar to what your do but not all deer I shoot have antlers.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been using a plastic drag for a LOT of years now. Makes dragging a deer 100 times easier. It's dang near weightless, rolls up nice and small for carry in your pack and keeps the dirt n stuff off your deer. When you get old as dirt like me, you look for things to make a drag easier. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...-sled?a=450188
Old 11-23-2015, 02:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Dragging a deer against the direction that the hair grows isn't too smart. You will pull out the hair where the deer touches the ground and create more friction than if you drug with the direction of the hair making the drag harder. I have seen a few dragged our back asswards and it wasn't a pretty sight. CI, I loop my rope around the neck with the front legs behind the ears so that they aren't touching the ground and it makes for easier dragging and the front legs do not catch on anything along the way similar to what your do but not all deer I shoot have antlers.
I do the same as you do OT when I am filling a doe tag. Got one coming up in ML season which opens in a couple of weeks. The legs behind the ears/ antlers really helps when you are pulling in the woods. Small trick an old timer once taught me when I always did it the hard way. Back then I was like a bulldozer and just about as smart.

Been using a plastic drag for a LOT of years now. Makes dragging a deer 100 times easier. It's dang near weightless, rolls up nice and small for carry in your pack and keeps the dirt n stuff off your deer. When you get old as dirt like me, you look for things to make a drag easier.
Done that too but don't pack one when hunting. If it is going to be a real chore I go home and get a plastic sled. When hunting in snow I keep one in the truck.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 11-23-2015 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

My sister shot a very big PA antlerless a few years back, "Biggest doe I ever saw" When we finally found it it was a buck with two bloody spots on his head. This would have been 2nd week of PA season, so early December. I'd never heard of them loosing them that early, but this buck apparently had. Too bad because he weighed up around 170 if I remember correctly and I'm sure would have been a very nice buck.
-Jake
Old 11-24-2015, 02:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Most of the bucks I heard lost antlers in December were bigger ones for some reason. Must be some biological reason like being run down from breeding.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Too bad because he weighed up around 170 if I remember correctly and I'm sure would have been a very nice buck.
-Jake
Just curious but even without antlers wasn't it a very nice buck? After all, since it was shot on a doe permit that logically means it was shot for meat so what difference do the size of the missing antlers make in those circumstances?
Old 11-24-2015, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Without the antlers it was "the biggest antlerless I've ever seen." All of our deer are shot for the meat. Just because I choose to shoot the first legal buck I see does not make that buck a "nice buck." I've never hunted for antlers, and probably never will. Typically early season I'll pass a few smaller ones, but that's just because I like to hunt allot and don't want to end it on my first week of archery for a 5 point. I'd rather shoot doe. So, to answer your question directly. No, he wasn't a Nice Buck. He was a very large antlerless though. And is our camp weight record for an antlerless still. The next closest being a 130lbish doe that I shot(PA deer, they don't get super heavy in that area. Low 100's is common for a "nice buck" where we hunt). So a 130lb doe is big, and we say she "cheated" to get the weight record by shooting a buck that dropped his horns.
-Jake