Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What scope power do you use

Old 11-23-2015, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
I hear that a lot but Scopes are not more shaky at higher power. They just show you how shaky you are at higher power. Turning it down won't fix that.
Yeah actually it does. My higher power scopes cranked up will actually show my heartbeat in the crosshairs. Lower power you don't see it because the optics aren't magnified enough. It's why they teach us in school to "shoot between the heartbeats" when locking on to a long range target with high mag.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Good point. At my age a heart beat is a good thing.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Yeah actually it does. My higher power scopes cranked up will actually show my heartbeat in the crosshairs. Lower power you don't see it because the optics aren't magnified enough. It's why they teach us in school to "shoot between the heartbeats" when locking on to a long range target with high mag.
No it doesn't. Do you think the scope quits moving when your heart beats just because you turn it down?

Out of sight out of mind I guess...but its still happening just the same.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've got a 2X on one rifle, a couple 4X on other rifles, a 1.5X6 on my 375 H&H and 3x9 on my other rifles. So it depends on what I grab off the rack.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Good point. At my age a heart beat is a good thing.
Ya sure aint whistling dixie there CI!

No it doesn't. Do you think the scope quits moving when your heart beats just because you turn it down?

Out of sight out of mind I guess...but its still happening just the same.
While yes it is still doing it at lower power, you can't see it doing it therefore it doesn't effect your shot placement. You aren't going to be shooting 700+ yards with your scope set on 8 power usually anyway. I do with silhouette and my 16 inch gong at times but if I am settling in to a long range session I have my scopes cranked up to 16 or 18 whichever rifle I am using. At those magnifications any vibration whatsoever is highly visible. But you were correct in the "out of sight out of mind" theory as that is pretty much how it is. I don't have any extreme power scopes that have the etched crosshairs but I have heard that they aren't affected AS MUCH as typical stadia line crosshairs. I don't get into sending long range much anymore. Just getting too old and while it's still fun I get a little too miserable when I can't perform as well as I did 10 years ago. Forewarning Rocko, gettin old sucks!!!!
Old 11-23-2015, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Ya sure aint whistling dixie there CI!

While yes it is still doing it at lower power, you can't see it doing it therefore it doesn't effect your shot placement. You aren't going to be shooting 700+ yards with your scope set on 8 power usually anyway. I do with silhouette and my 16 inch gong at times but if I am settling in to a long range session I have my scopes cranked up to 16 or 18 whichever rifle I am using. At those magnifications any vibration whatsoever is highly visible. But you were correct in the "out of sight out of mind" theory as that is pretty much how it is. I don't have any extreme power scopes that have the etched crosshairs but I have heard that they aren't affected AS MUCH as typical stadia line crosshairs. I don't get into sending long range much anymore. Just getting too old and while it's still fun I get a little too miserable when I can't perform as well as I did 10 years ago. Forewarning Rocko, gettin old sucks!!!!
That is just not true, your heartbeat and other movement absolutely effects your shot placement whether you have your scope turned up high enough to see it or not it still happens.

I have a 6.5x24 burris with an etched E1 reticle....it still moves when your heart beats and it moves just as much at 6.5 as it does at 24 you just can't see it but the movement effects your shot placement all the same.

I'm already feeling pretty old. Ive accumulated lots of nuts and bolts already.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you wobble enough to move the end of the muzzle .000693" you just missed MOA, whether is shows or not.
RR
Old 11-23-2015, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think my point was lost in translation Rock. What I was trying to say is that at lower power people are generally shooting shorter range. In RR's calculation there, .000693" movement of the barrel would shift point of aim at 300 yards just over half an inch in a perfect scenario without wind drift and such. .6297 to be exact but at 700 yards is almost an inch and a half. That's a very tiny movement and predominately no real bearing on shorter range shooting therefor no real bearing on lower power on the scope. BUT when you are getting out there to 800+ it becomes a pretty big shift. Stadia shift from heartbeat at high magnifications can cause a pretty good bit more than .000693 in your lessor quality scopes but still not really affecting your shots at closer ranges where extreme magnifications aren't generally used unless you are trying to pick out a hair to shoot at 200 yards but even then you wont experience TOO much lateral movement at that short distance. Sorry I wasn't a bit more clear on what I was trying to point out. Us old folks try to save as much time as we can ya know
Old 11-23-2015, 11:25 PM
Spike

I would very much disagree with that. The false illusion that you are on the animal when your not helps nothing IMO....at least for me anyway.

People are different I reckon.
Obviously I was not talking about missing the vitals of an animal, since both the instances I mentioned resulted in dead animals. But... I can shoot as good of groups with a peep sight at 100 yards as I can with a scope set on any power, from an unsupported field position I can generally shoot better groups at 300 yards with my scope on 4x than I can with it set on 9 or more. When I tried going to a fixed 4x scope I only ever missed being able to turn it down, never felt myself wishing for more magnification in a hunting situation ever.

Now apparently that's all in my head according too... well, just you really. But in any case if my shooting is not suffering in the least than IMO an increased feeling of steadiness and confidence can only be a benefit.

Last edited by Exophysical; 11-23-2015 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Exophysical
Obviously I was not talking about missing the vitals of an animal, since both the instances I mentioned resulted in dead animals. But... I can shoot as good of groups with a peep sight at 100 yards as I can with a scope set on any power, from an unsupported field position I can generally shoot better groups at 300 yards with my scope on 4x than I can with it set on 9 or more. When I tried going to a fixed 4x scope I only ever missed being able to turn it down, never felt myself wishing for more magnification in a hunting situation ever.

Now apparently that's all in my head according too... well, just you really. But in any case if my shooting is not suffering in the least than IMO an increased feeling of steadiness and confidence can only be a benefit.
Its not "just me really" its reality.

Like I said in my first response people are different and like I also said I hunt at 3.5 myself for FOV reasons. At larger game hunting ranges for me 3.5 is plenty of magnification and I still have a good FOV and can find the animal in the scope quickly.

I'm just telling you the reality of it is turning your scope down does not reduce movement it simply makes details less noticeable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.