Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What scope power do you use

Old 11-22-2015, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ABarOfSoap
I was hunting this weekend with my muzzleloader and took a 70 yard non resting shot with my 1-9 scope set on 7, I felt like I was right on the deer but missed cleanly and am trying to determine what went wrong so I can learn from it, maybe my power was to high for that close of a shot, what zoom level do you guys use in certain situations?

On a side note I took a practice shot afterwards and it was sighted in perfectly.
Your bullet could have hit a tree limb, or sapling, or blade of grass.
It happens.
Better Luck Next Time.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
The higher the power the "shakier" it will be. Chances are, offhand, you just missed. Thankfully you didn't wound it. I keep my scopes set low until I need them higher. A 3-9X I'll typically keep on 4X until I need it higher. Do you practice offhand shots, or non resting shots? I encourage people to practice the shots they will take. Lots of people only shoot their rifle off the bench to make sure it's sighted in then wonder why they miss a fairly easy shot offhand. I practice all sorts of things. I'm even comfortable switching hands and shooting left on several of my deer rifles. Practice, more so than scope power, is key.
-Jake
I hear that a lot but Scopes are not more shaky at higher power. They just show you how shaky you are at higher power. Turning it down won't fix that.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, you will still be shaking, you just won't notice it as much.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

A 3-9X I'll typically keep on 4X until I need it higher.
X2 This is the way I do it.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:58 AM
Typical Buck

Like others have posted, I hunt with my variable scopes turned down to the lower powers, depending on the vegetation and terrain. Then, if I have enough time for the shot, I'll turn it up to a higher or to the highest power for the shot. Aim small miss small.

I have variable scopes from 2-7x to 4.5-12x on various rifles, along with a fixed 4x on a .270 Win, a 6x on my .257 Ackley (which is the rifle that I've shot most of my deer and mountain sheep with), and a 10x on my .22-250.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I rarely turn my scope up in hunting situations. I use mine to sight in for the most part. I find it very helpful when on a bench precisely dialing in my scope.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:29 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by rockport
I hear that a lot but Scopes are not more shaky at higher power. They just show you how shaky you are at higher power. Turning it down won't fix that.
Turning it down makes your shakes look smaller, so you aren't fighting your own shakes and creating more problems. It also feels more steady which helps you shoot with confidence, IMO that is important. I once shot a bull moose from a moving canoe (drifting and spinning in a swift current) at 50 yards with my scope at 7x, I shot a deer offhand at over 150 yards with a scope set at 9x... I can sure do it but in either of those cases I would been more comfortable with the scope set as low as it would go. With the moose I would have rather had irons.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most of the time I use a 308 Win. bolt-action rifle with a 3-10 x 50mm, usually set on 4. I seldom go past 6X. Shots, even on food plots, where i hunt are very seldom past 125 -150 yards.

Sometimes I am hunting in heavy timber where shots are not going to be clear past 50 - 75 yards or so. I take a 444 Marlin Guide that has a 1.75-6 x 30, usually set on 2.5.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Exophysical
Turning it down makes your shakes look smaller, so you aren't fighting your own shakes and creating more problems. It also feels more steady which helps you shoot with confidence, IMO that is important. I once shot a bull moose from a moving canoe (drifting and spinning in a swift current) at 50 yards with my scope at 7x, I shot a deer offhand at over 150 yards with a scope set at 9x... I can sure do it but in either of those cases I would been more comfortable with the scope set as low as it would go. With the moose I would have rather had irons.
I would very much disagree with that. The false illusion that you are on the animal when your not helps nothing IMO....at least for me anyway.

People are different I reckon.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I probably have this wrong, I have a 1.5X4.5 on a bolt 3006 and have two 3X9's on two inlines. I also use irons on a Hawken and a Lyman Peep on a lever 3030. I do like the low power scope on the 3006 and I use it for close up to a max of 200 yds or so. I keep all of them at the lowest setting unless I have plenty of time and something to rest the gun on. Scopes are a lot easier for older eyes to use.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.