HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   question for all members (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/402810-question-all-members.html)

Exophysical 11-24-2015 08:45 AM

Here, let me make it easy for you. I may not be perfect but I do my best.

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewt...?f=287&t=20759

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-...lk-2015-a.html

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...now-track-buck

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ighlight=moose

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewt...?f=287&t=27058

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewt...?f=287&t=22761

Oldtimr 11-24-2015 08:47 AM

Yeah, we all know your ridiculous opinion by now which wouldn't be so bad if you didn't tell others that if they don't do it your way they have have less skills than you. I have been known to get into disputes with Ridge Runner, however, knowing where he lives and reading his posts for a couple of years, it is pretty obvious he has hunting skills, I suspect they are substantially better than yours and also suspect his shooting ability is better than yours, in fact I am pretty sure there are lots of folks here who have better than hunting skills than you do which makes your snobbish arrogance all the more hard to swallow.

Exophysical 11-24-2015 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4229951)
Yeah, we all know your ridiculous opinion by now which wouldn't be so bad if you didn't tell others that if they don't do it your way they have have less skills than you. I have been known to get into disputes with Ridge Runner, however, knowing where he lives and reading his posts for a couple of years, it is pretty obvious he has hunting skills, I suspect they are substantially better than yours and also suspect his shooting ability is better than yours, in fact I am pretty sure there are lots of folks here who have better than hunting skills than you do which makes your snobbish arrogance all the more hard to swallow.

I don't dispute that there are many far better hunters out there than me. RR is probably a better hunter and a far better shot. But I still don't have to agree with how he does things, I still don't understand the motivation, and if that makes me a snob in your books then so be it. Where I live it is legal to drive a pickup truck around on fire roads all day, jump out, and shoot a deer. Just because its legal does that mean I have to condone it?

Broncazonk 11-24-2015 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 4229867)
he's digging deep but he never acknowledged my post about retained energy at 800 and 1k, RR

I seem to remember writing the following in Post 40, (with proper punctuation and capitalization nonetheless!)

"Listen ...Deleted by CalHunter...

redgreen 11-24-2015 09:49 AM

"Deer do not live so you can wound them at 800 yards."
If I poke a deer at 800 yards, that is my business. I disengage the sear, it falls over. If you are not capable of it, quit criticizing us who can. I have been hunting for over 50 years, and can track and jump bedded deer or whatever I am after. I was on a trap line when I was 5 years old and was hunting by myself at 10. Just because there are some that can connect 100% of the time at seriously long ranges doesn't make us a poor hunter. The skill and time invested makes us better hunters in my opinion. Come out to the prairies and hunt the stubble, and then judge, or better yet, stay in your little world and be happy.

Bob H in NH 11-24-2015 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by gjersy (Post 4229914)
Some guys have the desire/skill, set up to hunt long range some guys at 10 yards with a bow, i can appreciate both. As a logger and hunter i find wasted deer in the woods from time to time and i check them out. Some are bad shots while some are good heart/lung shots lost to terrible tracking skills. To answer the OP's question on ethics, i think a good question we hunters should ask, is how many deer have you wounded/missed? It's easy to fondly remember that remarkable shot you made, but also easy to forget the deer you wounded or missed(maybe wounded?).

That's a valid question regardless of the weapon or distance! Stay within your skill set!

jeepkid 11-24-2015 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Broncazonk (Post 4229580)
This is a very common occurrence in the profession, (every profession, in fact.)

1) Party 1 (usually a ranking officer or supervisor) *think* they have expertise, *think* they know something about something, and when they ask for an opinion they *think* they already know the answer;

2) Party 2 gives them a professional opinion;

3) Party 1 doesn't like what he hears, because he *thinks* he has expertise and knows something about something;

4) Party 1 (and his friends) get all haired up over what they hear and then start attacking Party 2;

5) Party 1 makes the call because he is the ranking officer or supervisor;

6) That decision results in horrible, FUBAR consequences, and the whole operation becomes a CF.

7) The unit ends up doing what Party 2 suggested in the first place, and that whole evolution is never spoken of again.

Yep! This seems VERY familiar...

Bronc

You do realize you are Party 1 in this scenario, right? :poke::bash:

rockport 11-24-2015 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by redgreen (Post 4229961)
If I poke a deer at 800 yards, that is my business. I disengage the sear, it falls over. If you are not capable of it, quit criticizing us who can. I have been hunting for over 50 years, and can track and jump bedded deer or whatever I am after. I was on a trap line when I was 5 years old and was hunting by myself at 10. Just because there are some that can connect 100% of the time at seriously long ranges doesn't make us a poor hunter. The skill and time invested makes us better hunters in my opinion. Come out to the prairies and hunt the stubble, and then judge, or better yet, stay in your little world and be happy.

Easy now, it makes you a better shooter(which I support and think is pretty impressive) not a better hunter.

You might be a great hunter but that alone only makes you a better shooter.

super_hunt54 11-24-2015 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by redgreen (Post 4229961)

Originally Posted by rockport (Post 4229969)
Easy now, it makes you a better shooter(which I support and think is pretty impressive) not a better hunter.

You might be a great hunter but that alone only makes you a better shooter.

Having hunted prairie lands in North and South Dakota, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico,and Alaska as well as HUGE fields in many other states, I have yet to find the need to take shots longer than 400 yards. In my younger days when I was "feeling my oats" so to speak, I would take some of those impressive long shots on Elk across canyons and such but I was also trained in the shooting arts since I had the standing upright thing down pat. Those were many many years ago and I have grown as a hunter. Your talking about grasslands and stubble fields like that makes it impossible to get within 400 yards? RR and a few others CHOOSE to make shots at those ridiculous ranges because that's what they WANT to do. There is absolutely NO NEED for it. Getting to 400 and under in range is easily done even on speed goats! So redgreen, I'll mirror what Rock said, it doesn't make you a better HUNTER, it makes you a better SHOOTER. A better HUNTER can get within reasonable range of an animal without having to take shots past 400 yards. I'm not knocking RR as what he is doing is perfectly legal and he is well practiced at long range shooting but that doesn't mean in ANY way he is a better HUNTER. It just means he is an accomplished SHOOTER. But for the record, most all of his long range kills are for "crop damage" deer (if I have been reading his posts correctly) so he is doing his neighbors a service by eliminating pest deer. WV has a pretty badly out of kilter deer population. I believe when he goes out to actually HUNT for his own buck tags and such, he goes after them at reasonable ranges where he is also successful.

jeepkid 11-24-2015 01:31 PM

907 yards...270 Wby, 150gr ABLR, Defiance action, Benchmark barrel, McMillan Hunter, Jewell trigger, Huskemaw scope, ONE SHOT...not a cent of taxpayer money spent on it.

I guess we aren't hunters tho, only shooters. I guess the other deer we got under 200 yards would mean we are hunters?