HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   question for all members (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/402810-question-all-members.html)

Bocajnala 11-22-2015 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Broncazonk (Post 4229580)
This is a very common occurrence in the profession, (every profession, in fact.)

Big game (as I've already said) and especially large-antlered big game do not stand still like paper targets. They are usually on the move, in bullet deflecting brush. Also, when you are hunting, you're never shooting off a bench, you're never sandbagged in, your heartbeat is never steady and calm, etc, etc, etc.

Bronc

Maybe you should read a little more and see what they've said about their long range shots. Because any of those conditions, they wouldn't be taking the shot.
-Jake

Sheridan 11-22-2015 10:11 AM

I don't think I've seen/heard a SINGLE statement ("mishap") that couldn't of taken place to a less than proficient shooter at 100 yards.

Remember - Take the shot you know you can make, NOT the one you think you can make !!!

BTW - I "think" most of us on here know the difference between shooting paper and game animals ??

Broncazonk 11-22-2015 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4229587)
Maybe you should read a little more and see what they've said about their long range shots. Because any of those conditions, they wouldn't be taking the shot.
-Jake

Jake, you are simultaneously missing the point and making the case.

1) Big game and especially large-antlered big game do not stand still like paper targets--they are usually on the move, in bullet deflecting timber or brush.

2) No. 1 above is Ridge Runners operational environment. That's the reality. It's just the way it is. It's not going to change. It's ALWAYS going to be that way.

3) Given his operational environment, the range at which Ridge Runner can successfully and ethically engage his quarry is reduced to about 200-yards.

4) Ridge Runner insists on shooting at deer at 800-1000 yards.

5) What is the product of this equation?

All of the above does not apply if Ridge Runner has a couple of corn feeders strategically placed at the edge of a field at LRF determined distances from a shooting bench (or his back porch) and "hunting" is defined by Ridge Runner as shooting does and 1.5 y.o. bucks at 800-1000 yards that are standing innocently under said feeders munching on corn.

Bronc

jeepkid 11-22-2015 11:50 AM

Bronc,

Maybe you oughta READ some of RR's posts about how he takes his shots. Or maybe take a gander over to Longrangehunting.com and read up a little bit over there...there's much more to shooting and LR hunting then you'll learn from the Army marksmanship manual...

Bocajnala 11-22-2015 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Broncazonk (Post 4229613)

All of the above does not apply if Ridge Runner has a couple of corn feeders strategically placed at the edge of a field at LRF determined distances from a shooting bench (or his back porch) and "hunting" is defined by Ridge Runner as shooting does and 1.5 y.o. bucks at 800-1000 yards that are standing innocently under said feeders munching on corn.

Bronc

:sign0018: So instead of having a good argument you attack what may be a perfectly legal method of hunting? :bash: I don't bait, but if it's legal and a hunter wants to that's fine. Likewise with shooting young deer. If it's legal, it's legal bud:busted:. Stick to the topic and leave your opinions out if we're discussing facts. When people run out of solid ground to stand on they revert to attacking other things that have nothing to do with the topic. Such as the age of the animal. :pcwhack::throw: I included some graphics to aid with reading comprehension :s4: ... but mainly because I'm bored at work.
-Jake

Broncazonk 11-22-2015 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by jeepkid (Post 4229615)
Bronc, [...] ...there's much more to shooting and LR hunting then you'll learn from the Army marksmanship manual...

And jeepkid, you need to Google, "Quantico." http://www.quantico.marines.mil/

And "Lejeune," https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine...e_Camp_Lejeune

Bronc

jeepkid 11-22-2015 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Broncazonk (Post 4229618)
And jeepkid, you need to Google, "Quantico." http://www.quantico.marines.mil/

And "Lejeune," https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine...e_Camp_Lejeune

Bronc

I couldn't care less...it's always the same argument...military knows everything about shooting and civilians know nothing...Have fun shooting your taxpayer bought rebarrelled Sendero, we shall continue doing what we do also, except with better equipment and more skill.

Later.

Champlain Islander 11-22-2015 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sheridan (Post 4229591)
I don't think I've seen/heard a SINGLE statement ("mishap") that couldn't of taken place to a less than proficient shooter at 100 yards.

Remember - Take the shot you know you can make, NOT the one you think you can make !!!

BTW - I "think" most of us on here know the difference between shooting paper and game animals ??

I think the statement in bold says it all. For me to take a 500 yd shot would be unethical because my equipment and experience on LR shooting is limited. My belief from reading these forums for all these years is that there are some fortunate hunters who have the eyesight, equipment and discipline to shoot better than I do. It would be wrong for me to call them anything other than experts. I am sure there are plenty of military snipers who wouldn't blink an eye on a 1000 yd target. Is it so unbelievable that a non military hunter could achieve that level of expertise?

super_hunt54 11-22-2015 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by jeepkid (Post 4229615)
Bronc,

Maybe you oughta READ some of RR's posts about how he takes his shots. Or maybe take a gander over to Longrangehunting.com and read up a little bit over there...there's much more to shooting and LR hunting then you'll learn from the Army marksmanship manual...

My little twin Grandsons could teach better marksmanship than ARMY :D But Marine rifle training is a good bit better :s4:

Originally Posted by jeepkid (Post 4229620)
I couldn't care less...it's always the same argument...military knows everything about shooting and civilians know nothing...Have fun shooting your taxpayer bought rebarrelled Sendero, we shall continue doing what we do also, except with better equipment and more skill.

Later.

Now Now Jeepers lets not start the Military bashing fella. Not all of us military gentlemen are like that and you know it.

MudderChuck 11-22-2015 01:51 PM

IMO if you can figure out a way to reliably kill them dead, you are good to go. Just putting a bullet in them isn't actually the task, putting them down is.

I shot a really old Doe awhile back. She was really sneaky. I'd hunted this large lease for years and had never seen her before and she was right in the middle of a 3200 acre lease.

She was obviously on her last legs, she was skin and bones. I put her down, just so she wouldn't get sick and possibly spread it around.

I found a bullet lodged in her lower jaw, it had been in there for a long time. It was abscessed and the bone was dissolving. Stuff like this just makes me sad.

The military taught me to put a round in a man sized target at 500 yards. I taught myself how to put it in their ear. :)

All you guys are just novices anyway, we used to chop off 2X4's at 1200 meters just to get sighted in. Tankers have bigger guns. ;)