Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

question for all members

Old 11-25-2015, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
There's a lot of variables needed to answer that question CI. What type of conditions will the "engagement" be under? What system is the team carrying? US team or another countries force? I believe the longest recorded kill shot was made by a UK sniper at close to 2,500 meters with a L115A3 chambered in .338 LAP. I'd have to look it up to be sure but I think that is the recorded longest in fire in action. Another was pretty close to that from a Canadian sniper using a .50 cal.
never put much faith in the UK record, the bullet that was claimed to be used went subsonic IIRC 600 yards short of the claimed distance, a bullet can remain stable through the transonic stage, but then fly another 600 yards in the subsonic mode and still impact within 1/2 moa?
RR
Old 11-25-2015, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Chris Kyle, US Navy SEALs, had one at 2,100 yards and it was a 1 shot kill. Should we believe that one? .338Lapua. In his book, if I remember correctly, he basically said it was luck and wouldn't happen again.. (Again thats from memory it's been over a year since I read it so that could be way off) ...

But I'm curious as well RR. How far have(could) you "target practice" I've seen your 700 yard grouping. But have you shot groupings out to 1,300 etc? Or is it all just crunching numbers and dialing the scope after a certain range? How far could you print..say a 12" grouping.
-Jake
Old 11-25-2015, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
never put much faith in the UK record, the bullet that was claimed to be used went subsonic IIRC 600 yards short of the claimed distance, a bullet can remain stable through the transonic stage, but then fly another 600 yards in the subsonic mode and still impact within 1/2 moa?
RR
Yeah, always thought that one smelled a LITTLE fishy but yes there are some bullets custom lathed and balanced that have extreme BC efficiency. Or the SOB just got lucky (always been my assessment). I know the Canadian one was verified. Funny story about that one was they had run out of their own ammo and was using American rounds! And if memory serves me correct, most of their shooters carry Tac .50's right? Pretty sure they don't carry Barretts but the McMillan.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dag nabbit you kids get all the fun new toys!!!!
Old 11-25-2015, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Chris Kyle, US Navy SEALs, had one at 2,100 yards and it was a 1 shot kill. Should we believe that one? .338Lapua. In his book, if I remember correctly, he basically said it was luck and wouldn't happen again.. (Again thats from memory it's been over a year since I read it so that could be way off) ...

But I'm curious as well RR. How far have(could) you "target practice" I've seen your 700 yard grouping. But have you shot groupings out to 1,300 etc? Or is it all just crunching numbers and dialing the scope after a certain range? How far could you print..say a 12" grouping.
-Jake
Chris was one of the most humble men on the planet from everything I have read and heard about the man. He would probably say his 100 yard shots were luck as well.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

jakeI have shot 1500 yds a few times, even at my best I could never break 10" with 3 shots so that was beyond my capabilities

super, they were shooting a standard load with a 250 match bullet, not a bad bullet but not a super high BC for a 338, it definitely does not take full advantage of the lapua's capacity, have shot some 200 gr wildcats in my 7mm AM with a BC somewhere around .84 it is impressive at 3200 fps

not only ws the guy using American ammo, was still coming up short so he llet the ammo bake in the sun to boost the MV so he had just enough up if the turned it all the way up then used the BDC reticle to make up the difference. He did have a McMillan tac 50, a varmint rifle chambered in 50 BMG
RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 11-25-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

it just came to me, Rob Furlong was his name
RR
Old 11-25-2015, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
I don't know some may call it a rant, here goes

I post some about killing deer at long range, its legal, I enjoy it, I do have a pretty good grasp on what I'm doing, took me over 20 years to become comfortable doing it, spent a lot of money, and countless hours preparing, learning, getting efficient at it.
for years I sat on the same rock and killed way more deer at 2 to 80 yards than most folks can comprehend. Why do folks scorn it?
why am I an unethical slob because I know exactly where my bullet will hit 8 football fields away if the conditions are to my liking?
I once started a thread about a kill beyond 1K, I was constantly explaining over and over why I took the shot what I went through as far as variables to make sure I was right, yet still 23 pages of its not ethical, too many variables. I had the thread deleted because those who know the least about what I do think they know the most.
so why is LR hunting not ethical?
If I can get a legitimate reason I will respond, but the typical reasons which most talk about I will not address such as
you don't know the wind (yes I do I measure it)
you don't know the wind over there (yes I do I measure it here and compare it to there)
the deer don't know your there (if they knew you were there at 50 yards would you get a shot?)
so have at it
RR
i don't have a problem with you shooting as far as you are capable but for me i would rather the deer almost walk between my legs! i like the excitement and challenge of getting close even while gun hunting. i actually shot a deer at 3 yards while it was a sleep well he actually woke up just before i shot him to me that's my kind of hunting you probably won't get that kind of excitement shooting at 800 yards??
Old 11-26-2015, 02:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Speaking about ballistics...I was wondering how altitude plays in. I live at 118' ASL and sight in at home. I hunt near home at low altitude and often go to my deer camp which is nearer to 2000' ASL. I never detected any change from home to camp at zero for 100 yds. For the past 10 years I have hunted elk and muleys in Colorado at up to 11,500' ASL. I always sight in again in the valley at 7500' to make sure the gun didn't change due to the trip. I always tweak it so I am 2" high at 100 just to push my reasonable bullet drop out to 300 yds since I don't have a BDC reticle. I never had to shoot that far and to the best of my memory a 200yd shot at the muley in my member page was the longest. All my elk were less than 125 YDS. Just wondering how much our resident experts would say a 30-06 shooting factory ammo with a Barnes TSX 180 gr would vary according to altitude.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

At your ranges CI, it has a negligible effect. Basically, it's the Barometric pressure that effects the bullets drop. With the air being thinner, the bullet is experiencing less resistance. Gravity is still a constant and it's downward rate of speed is the same, but with less air resistance its forward path is easier. The higher the altitude, the higher your Ballistic Coefficient is going to be. But out to 300 yards with your setup the difference would be less than 1/8 of an inch (educated guess of your muzzle velocity and BC calculations). Now when you start poking out to 600+ is when you will have to dial up less than you would at say 2000 feet ALT. At least noticeably more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.