Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Show your deer rifle

Old 11-21-2015, 12:10 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Thanks guys, the gibbs is ready, I will be looking for my 29th harvest beyond 600 yards come Monday, most folks walk in the checking station and are asked by the locals "How big"? all I'm asked is how far?
sept 23rd I had one damage permit left, needed to fill it and a buddy wanted some meat, I talk LR shooting a lot, but shoot within a small group of about 25 people, they tell their friends, and most of it is dismissed as BS.
We were watching a rye field along a public highway in the eve, and deer were starting to appear, here comes 3 vehicles, aquaintences who stopped to see what was going on, guy asked ya groundhog hunting? nope, got to fill a deer permit. where he said, there were 4 deer in the rye, lazered a big doe at 682, set the scope, as the trigger broke I knew she was gonna be hit, at impact she hit the ground got up, ran to the field edge and fell.
as we were packing up, the 3 trucks drove away without saying a word, when we were driving to pick her up, my buddy was all smiles, I asked what? he said, the legend just grew some more!
good shooting all
RR
Meh, we all do things for different reasons, and I don't care how anyone hunts. Some guys drive their trucks down logging roads and jump out and shoot stuff off the hood, some guys throw out hay bales, some guys shoot them from long distances. I tend to understand RWK's stance more than any of the others.

I don't care how big or how far, I just ask "How", I want to hear a good hunting story.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
RWK,
well I got off my assets, went the wrong darn way, I've probably walked farther to retrieve game than you hunt in a day!

warbird, my apologies for highjacking your thread, but I just couldn't resist
RR
Took me a second to figure out if that was a scruffy little ole yote or a deer I keep fergittin them little ole Virginia deer are some tiny little critters!
Old 11-21-2015, 01:33 PM
Dominant Buck

They are small in size but very tasty. One of my younger brothers lives down there and often brings up some for camp. Nice to have someone else provide the camp food for a change.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Took me a second to figure out if that was a scruffy little ole yote or a deer I keep fergittin them little ole Virginia deer are some tiny little critters!
Super, don't kid yourself. The VA. species of deer is generally a smaller species but you'd be surprised how big some of those soybean, corn or peanut fed bucks can get. VA. can produce deer the majority of hunters on this site would be pleased with.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:51 PM
Dominant Buck

They do grow some impressive racks. Lots more food there than here and their winters are mild.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Game Stalker
Super, don't kid yourself. The VA. species of deer is generally a smaller species but you'd be surprised how big some of those soybean, corn or peanut fed bucks can get. VA. can produce deer the majority of hunters on this site would be pleased with.
HeHe don't get me twisted Stalker, I've taken many Va and WV deer in my lifetime. I just like ribbing RR about them little critters. BUT on average, thems some tiny little critters. On the hoof, Tennessee deer aren't a whole heck of a lot bigger by average. My first Northern whitetail hunt (back in the stone age when I was a lad) opened my eyes to what a massive body whitetail looks like. When you are used to a 200 pound buck (live weight) being HUGE and you have a run in with a 320 pound fire breathing rutted up buck, you tend to change your opinion (as well as your drawers) on what a big deer is
Old 11-22-2015, 01:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
...... on average, thems some tiny little critters. On the hoof, Tennessee deer aren't a whole heck of a lot bigger by average. My first Northern whitetail hunt (back in the stone age when I was a lad) opened my eyes to what a massive body whitetail looks like.

When you are used to a 200 pound buck (live weight) being HUGE and you have a run in with a 320 pound fire breathing rutted up buck, you tend to change your opinion..... on what a big deer is.
Guess we'll just have to call smaller average deer size mostly a southern thing.

Yeah, yeah, Bergman and his rules.

Here's where we in the rest of the country make ourselves feel better by saying, "It's the experience of the hunt that's most important."
See, it all comes out in the wash. Have a good one.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I bought a Ruger M-77 in 1980, caliber is .243, it's the only centerfire I own...Funny, nobody else has ever "claimed" my deer either, it drops them on the spot when I want it to...

It's killed a couple hundred deer so I doubt if I replace it anytime soon...But my real passion is flintlocks, I give talks on the American Revolution so I also use a .54 flintlock that I built in the '80s...

Old 11-27-2015, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

I am hoping to get a Ruger No. 1 some day like rr's. In Wisconsin on public land (and alot of private) the only shot you'll get is 100 yards max and if you miss you won't get another. I know alot of guys carry auto's but just spray the deer and don't aim. A semi-auto can be good if you aim each shot but I just never cared for them although I've owned some in the past. I had a beautiful H&H Ultra semi-auto in .243. Most beautiful wood you ever saw and rosewood fore end cap. I should have never got rid of it.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

NC,

The wood on that ML is exceptional !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.