Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Learning from 2015 to improve 2016 >

Learning from 2015 to improve 2016

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Learning from 2015 to improve 2016

Old 11-18-2015, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Learning from 2015 to improve 2016

Each year we learn from our experience on how to be better hunters for next year.
I impressed myself this year on how close three deer walked up to me and didn't know I was there when I shot them. Two were while I was on the ground and one while in a stand. My scent free preparation has shown it's benefit since I become more conscious of it.
One night I had a drink of apple juice and realized the strong scent of apple on my breath for some time after. I got the idea that next year I will drink a good quality apple juice on the stand to help as cover scent for my breath. This will go well with the apples that I use to pre-bait with.
My trick this year was to use deodorant on my feet so my socks and boot liners don't get soaked from foot sweat, which leads to cold feet. It did noticeably help. Socks and liners were still a bit damp, but not nearly as wet as previous years. Will probably continue to do in coming years.

Did you come up with any new ideas that you want to try next year, or tried this year, which you would like to share?
Old 11-18-2015, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good story Bigtuna they sure do have good noses, i have a permanent stand at my food plot i set it up with the prevailing wind & deer trails in mind and never really worried about scent control to much while in that stand. Well this year a nice buck winded me when the wind switched directions in a swirl, and 20 seconds later i heard that terrible blowing sound along with the rustle of leaves as he bounded away, hard lesson learned As far as year to year improvements, I've been perfecting my Buck grunting techniques using just my throat/mouth and am getting more successful at it every year.