Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Eating Meat in the Field

Old 11-04-2015, 07:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

The glands on a deer's hind legs, the metatarsal gland will not taint the meat of a deer after it is dead, if it did it would taint it when the deer was alive. I always got a kick out of the guys coming out of the woods with a buck with the bottom of the hind leg half skinned. I also have seen hunters cutting the metatarsals off before they gutted the deer. Now there is a stroke of genius, putting your knife in that stinking gland and then cutting the deer with it. Lots of myths out there, removing the metatarsal is one of them.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah Tarsals will stink up the place and I certainly wouldn't suggest hanging a deer with the hide on for many reasons. Main one is that it is a HELL of a lot easier to skin a deer out fresh! But the tarsals won't taint the meat unless you stupidly pierce the gland through to the meat. Old wives tale there. But skinning a deer out quickly allows for faster cool down which is of utmost importance.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:06 AM
Fork Horn

I did not specify a specific gland in the animal, I do believe there are seven glands in a deer. Three glands in the lower leg, three in the head, and one in the hind quarter. Whether any will taint the meat I am not sure but the advice from my uncle has served me well for forty plus years....
Old 11-05-2015, 03:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

None of those glands will taint the meat, none of them. The faster a deer is skinned the better, to allow it to cool faster, the faster it is cooled the better it will taste but it has not one thing to do with glands. Your uncle isn't the only person to believe the gland myth. Used to be almost every buck you saw coming out of the woods had the metatarsals cut off, today not so much.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
The glands on a deer's hind legs, the metatarsal gland will not taint the meat of a deer after it is dead, if it did it would taint it when the deer was alive. I always got a kick out of the guys coming out of the woods with a buck with the bottom of the hind leg half skinned. I also have seen hunters cutting the metatarsals off before they gutted the deer. Now there is a stroke of genius, putting your knife in that stinking gland and then cutting the deer with it. Lots of myths out there, removing the metatarsal is one of them.
lol. yup.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:25 AM
Fork Horn

I've always cut out the tarsal gland right after gutting the deer. According to the posters here, it may or may not taint the meat, but I can guarantee if it's cut off, it will not affect the meat in anyway.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just think about a little. You kill a 2 1/2 yo deer, he carried those tarsal glands his entire life and it didn't affect the meat. Now you kill the deer, the tarsal glands are still in the same place they always were but now they will taint the meat after the deer is dead. Come on, how can you believe that? Hey if you want to mess around with those stinking things, get the stink on your knife, on yourself. Have at it but it is a waste of time. Best way to avoid tainted meat is to be careful when you gut it and not cut the intestines or stomachs, or bladder and skin it as quickly as you can to cool it.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its funny sometimes the things that turn out to be myths....Ive never cut the tarsal glands off.

The glands to worry about IMO are the lymph nodes. I wonder how many people cut the tarsals off then eat the lymph nodes? I'm not so sure about "bleeding" a dead animal either. Just doesn't really work IMO. Aging if possible will evaporate the gamey blood though.

I also agree that cooling is top priority.

Aging properly is just not realistic in most parts of the country without a controlled environment.....You have about an 8 degree window.

I think a 24 hour hang then get it done is a pretty good method for most folks.

Last edited by rockport; 11-05-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Another thread that has went sideways and gotten off track....

LOL

I have NEVER cut ANY glands off of my deer and I have nothing but compliments on the taste of my venison.

IMO if you are cutting the tarsals off and using them for scent with urine collected from same deer I recommend you DO NOT use the same knife you will go butchering with unless you are cleaning the blade with alcohol and would NOT touch those glands without rubber gloves.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Doing this or that might affect the taste and everyone has preference on what is good preparation. I know many people wouldn't eat venison no matter how it was prepared so you can't make everyone happy. If eating a cut of meat the day of the kill feels like the right thing then by all means cook and enjoy.

Last edited by d80hunter; 11-05-2015 at 07:13 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.