Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Fixed Stands on Public Land

Old 11-01-2015, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default Fixed Stands on Public Land

What's your take on fixed stands on public land? I have a two man ladder stand that I have used with my son (9) for the past couple of seasons. The spot it is in isn't prime (haven't had a lot of luck the past couple of seasons) but it did produce early bow season one year which is why I out it there.

I want to have better luck when hunting with him so he doesn't get overly discouraged so early on. However, I am hesitant on setting it up is some of my prime areas for a couple of reasons. They are high traffic so worry about it getting stolen even though it hasn't been touched in about 3 years where its at. And two, I am worried about giving away "my spots"....I am just looking for your thoughts and experience.....

I hunt strictly public land.......
Old 11-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

The public land I hunt allows no equipment to be permanently attached. I would'nt leave my gear there for the above reason but also because it would tempt people of low character. Not only is theft of equipment likely, or drawing attention to your spot, what if you came to it and another hunter was using it and was adamant about staying there. Is it marked to prove it's yours in a way you can prove to them? How would you handle the conflict someone else clearly creates? How close is the nearest warden to settle a dispute and what priority would they give that circumstance?

Last edited by Game Stalker; 11-01-2015 at 12:14 PM. Reason: statement correction
Old 11-01-2015, 12:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

In PA a new regulation was just passed that all popup blinds and tree stands on State Game Lands and any other land that is involved in the Game Commissions public assess programs and there are over a million acres in each, must be labeled with the owners name and address or the CID number from the hunting license or a special number that can be applied for, on a durable material and legible to read. Stands and portable blinds may be put out a few days prior to the season in which used and removed a few days after the season ends. It is also not legal for tree stands to do damage to trees. If I had my way, stands would not be allowed to be left in the woods on public land because it gives the owner a false sense of having sole hunting rights to an area and just causes problem and squabbles.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
In PA a new regulation was just passed that all popup blinds and tree stands on State Game Lands and any other land that is involved in the Game Commissions public assess programs and there are over a million acres in each, must be labeled with the owners name and address or the CID number from the hunting license or a special number that can be applied for, on a durable material and legible to read. Stands and portable blinds may be put out a few days prior to the season in which used and removed a few days after the season ends. It is also not legal for tree stands to do damage to trees. If I had my way, stands would not be allowed to be left in the woods on public land because it gives the owner a false sense of having sole hunting rights to an area and just causes problem and squabbles.
We have pretty much the same rules here and have for quite a while. I don't see very many stands in trees at all. But I have seen bait piles which suggests that someone was hunting that spot. Do the carry the stand out with them? Seems like a lot of work.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Vermont has the same type of law pertaining to tree stands on pub lands. When I occasionally use one I now only will use a Summit climber and bring it in and out. Easy to pack and pretty fast and quiet to use. Most of my pub land hunting though is still hunting. Working into the wind very slowly looking for deer before they see me. Having tracking snow is the best case for a still hunter. Cut a good track and run them down. CR422 baiting is illegal here in the Green Mountain State.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 11-01-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

I am understanding the point about leaving stands out in public lands along with the regulations. What is a suggestive alternative to using them when hunting with kids and trying to get into trees. I know hunting on the ground is an option but I am fishing for a technique or what others do.....
Old 11-01-2015, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Vermont has the same type of law pertaining to tree stands on pub lands. When I occasionally use one I now only will use a Summit climber and bring it in and out. Easy to pack and pretty fast and quiet to use. Most of my pub land hunting though is still hunting. Working into the wind very slowly looking for deer before they see me. Having tracking snow is the best case for a still hunter. Cut a good track and run them down. CR422 baiting is illegal here in the Green Mountain State.
I think they are starting to ban baiting here because of CWD. We don't bait so haven't paid much attention to that. We always "still hunt" and generally wait until it snows so tracking is easier. Also, I prefer to hang the deer in cold weather. Temps in the 70s are predicted for next week. Archery deer season is already a month old. We'll be out in December sneaking through the snow with bow and/or muzzleloader.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:03 PM
Dominant Buck

If hunting with a bow then more important to get up a tree. If I hunted with a youth with gun I would set up on a log in a good spot and then do a bit of still hunting to break it up. Walk and sit...walk and sit. Quite effective and a way to learn woodsmanship without burning the youth out.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not legal in any of the places I hunt.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:58 AM
Fork Horn

It's a tough call. Anytime you leave personal property on public land you are taking a chance. TN now requires your stand to be marked with your name or TWRA id number while hunting on public land.

When my son was just starting out we always used a ground blind. They can be extremely effective. They can also be made from natural existing material that you find in the woods.
Plus, There are lots of great lessons that can be taught and learned just from the construction and placement of them. Such as proximity and direction in relation to anticipated game travel, prevailing wind directions, even the sun angle through out the day are just a few of the considerations that will make him start thinking and preparing to be a better a hunter.

It's easy to stretch your legs and slip around a bit if the young'uns get bored or restless too. If something gets dropped it ain't far to pick it up either!

Last edited by tndrbstr; 11-02-2015 at 06:13 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.