Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Question about chokes for buckshot >

Question about chokes for buckshot

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question about chokes for buckshot

Old 11-01-2015, 04:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I used a lot of buckshot when I was in VA because the military bases I hunted required it. I found it worked best in a full choke and I got the best results with 0 buck and not 00. Problem is 0 buck can be hard to find. 000 buck also worked well but there were fewer pellets and it seemed the tracking jobs were longer due to fewer holes.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:30 AM
Fork Horn

It sounds like flags has quite abit of experience in using various choke and load combinations.
In TN big game hunting is limited to single projectiles only so I can't help you out any.

Originally Posted by MaineRida
I have used modified and cylinder with similar results. I remember reading field and stream in the 70's and they had a theory that you can't (?)* compress large pellets and doing so will result in a skewed pattern. I have read this theory (possibly proven) multiple times since then but have not tried to reproduce it since I use a rifled shotgun barrel when there is a shotgun only requirement. I would use the more open choke and severely limit the range.
(?)*, just for clarification....

Also, I take it you use a single slug or sabot in the rifled shotgun barrel?
Old 12-15-2016, 06:01 PM
Spike

I know this is an old thread but have had a lot of experience with buckshot and thought I would share some info.

1. buckshot is underestimated on its capability.
2 pattering a shotgun is a must to make sure you are getting the peak performance from the buckshot/choke/gun of choice.
3 the most versatile choke for buckshot is mod. usually you can find 1 brand of buckshot to perform good enough to kill deer effectively out to 40 yards without question if the shooter patterns the gun and does their part.
4 there are buckshot chokes that will make a big difference. (kicks, pattern master, compnchoke, carlsons) to name a few.
5 now odds of same choke tube working the same in 2 different guns is usually very slim.
6 I am more partial to compnchoke or carlsons as I have been shooting buckshot through them for prob 8 years.

you hear people tell you to NOT use buckshot on deer.

1 main reason is you wont get a blood trail to follow if it runs off.
2 2nd reason is you cant shoot a deer past 30 yards and expect to kill it.

elaborating on blood trail a little bit.
there are a lot of deer lost every year with a rifle and bow that did or didn't produce a blood trail.
was it poor shot placement? is it using a bullet that doesn't expand or do what the company says it will do? did shooter jerk when they squeezed the trigger? and the list goes on.

buckshot will also create a blood trail. maybe not as good as a rifle most of the time but if you spend time looking the start off with to find first drop then you can follow it like you are pouring it out of a bucket. just takes deer little longer to start bleeding heavy with buckshot vs. rifle bullet but not always.

Buckshot killing distance
if you spend time shooting your gun and finding the right buckshot/choke combination it is extremely common to kill a deer in his tracks at 70 yards.

I fill my freezer up every single year with deer that I kill with buckshot. in the last 8_10 years I have probably only had to track a deer a couple times.

I shoot a comp n choke in my first gun of choice and use either # 1 buck 2 3/4, win 00b 3in, or 3in # 4 buckshot. all depends on the terrain and what the situation is.

now up close with this gun it is like shooting a rifle bullet at a deer because my pattern is so tight out to 20 yards. at 20 yards I have a 4 1/2 inch pattern. at 50 yards I have a 15 inch pattern.

so the ones that bash buckshot or any small caliber rifle for taking a deer are usually the ones that do nothing more than buy a gun get some ammo and get it close to zero and take off hunting.

Last edited by dogbone13; 12-15-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I take great exception when a person makes a first post telling anyone that it is extremely common to kill a deer in his tracks at 70 yards. Sorry, but I have to call BS on that distance with bs!
Old 12-16-2016, 03:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I take great exception when a person makes a first post telling anyone that it is extremely common to kill a deer in his tracks at 70 yards. Sorry, but I have to call BS on that distance with bs!
I may agree with the 70 yards with a rifle but not buckshot. I've probably shot and seen shot more than 150 deer with buckshot. It is lethal but in my experience and in my opinion it is and has always been a 40 yard method. Not saying you can't sneak in a lucky pellet at 100 yards on occasion (heck you can do the same thing with an arrow) but the effective and dependable killing range for buckshot is less than half that distance.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

I had to qualify with a shotgun with both buckshot and rifled slugs twice a year for 32 years. We used 00 buckshot. in my experience attempting to take a deer at 70 yards with buckshot would be very irresponsible and not considered for one second.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

We don't even attempt to shoot coyotes with #4 buck over 40 yards and one of the guys has a 10ga.

Al
Old 12-16-2016, 08:26 AM
Spike

i stated a shotgun with the right combination can kill deer in their tracks at 70 yards.

NOT every shotgun is capable of pattering buckshot. I own 2 of these and I use them to bird hunt with ONLY.

old timer elaborate a little bit on your qualifying.
gun used, barrel restriction (whether fixed barrel or choke tube) buckshot used. and what was the qualifying goals?

ally
4b is effective out to the distance that your gun will put 80% load in vitals of animal you are hunting.

I use 4b out to 30 yards or close shots with dense cover. 3in rem has 41 pellets and my goal is to put min of 30 in kill zone. otherwise I use 30 cal pellets in 1b and 00b.

I spend almost 3x as much time shooting my shotgun at paper vs. shooting my rifle at paper.

if you are unsure about a 40 yard shot then you should spend few hours looking down the bead of your shotgun at paper getting you a better combination of gun/choke/ammo.

again it is up to the shooter/hunter to do the right thing.
1 get right combination
2 only take shots you are 110% confident in.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:35 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
this is why I have been a member 1.5 yrs and have only read others opinions and comments.

if your post isn't 100% in line with another opinion your post will get blasted.

1 post or 2000 post I gave my personal experience and would be glad to talk with you about other buckshot test I have done to make sure when I pull the trigger I am 100% SURE I have done my part to make a ethical kill and not lose an animal.

same with duck hunting pattering steel shot, dove hunting patterning dove loads for absolute best performance I can take to field or water hole.

I am so against losing a wounded animal and this is why I shoot so many different loads at paper and target material to make sure as many variables are taken out of the equation as I possibly can.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's another vote for patterning your shotgun w/ a couple different chokes & loads. I use modified w/ 00 buck but don't shoot past 35 yds. to keep it a clean & ethical kill shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.