Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting App

Old 11-05-2015, 06:57 AM
Spike

I am using the Smarterhunter app now and it is performing as advertised. With my group, we like the ability to log in, monitor locations, the proximity alerts and the tracking of data. the in-app chat feature is nice when you need to communicate with the entire group.
I still carry my compass!
Old 05-25-2018, 08:29 PM
Spike

If only there were an app, that would make someone a smarter hunter!!
Old 05-26-2018, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by karli
If only there were an app, that would make someone a smarter hunter!!
The day I need a computer app to make me a better hunter is the day I hang up my guns. I don't use an app of any sort. You want to be a better hunter spend more time in the woods. Learn the habits of your quarry. Learn to track. Learn to read sign. Learn to move quietly in the woods. Learn to spot game before it spots you. Learn to shoot well and learn how to take care of the animal after it is down. You can't learn any of that from an app. You have to go live it.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
So I think we are all in agreement that technology isn't the enemy. Coupling that with practical experience and common sense makes for a better mousetrap. Some people embrace change while others don't. I guess if this thread accomplishes anything it will be to give people unacquainted with the old school basics a hint that they should learn about them just in case the technology fails. Dead batteries or falling and breaking the unit whether it is a GPS or smart phone could prove disastrous especially when one is in a wilderness or big woods setting and a storm hits blocking out reference to the sun. On the flip side for those who hold onto the old ways change often comes hard. Trying something new might open some new opportunity and enhance the experience. When we first started our cross country elk hunting trips we relied on an atlas with mixed success. Along came the garmin and life got much easier. But....we still keep the atlas in the map pocket behind the seat.
I have a few years on me, but I'm not opposed to new technology. I have a smart phone with Outlook. I can set an appointment or read and answer an email wherever I have access to Wi-Fi. All the courthouses have it. When I enter an email or appointment on phone or computer it appears on phone and both computers immediately.

When the GPS stuff first came out, I thought cool, and bought one. Tried it on the U.P. Nothing. Turns out it can't see the satellites through the trees. Put it away and haven't seen it since. For all I know, the technology may have improved though.

sachiko had to take the hunter safety course to get her license. I took it with her for snicks. In one of the classes, they had us form teams of two. She and I were a team of course. They issued each team a map and a lensatic compass. You had to navigate (navigate?) through the woods from point A to point B to point C and back to point A. No technology allowed. They explained that a phone or GPS is a fine and dandy thing, but batteries can go dead, ;and chips can die, and electronics can get wet. And then how are you gonna find your way back? I didn't help sachiko, by the way. But she completed the task way ahead of everyone else.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Our shooting days will be over soon. We're still planning to "hunt." But we'll just have to buy our meat on the way home.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by cr422
Our shooting days will be over soon. We're still planning to "hunt." But we'll just have to buy our meat on the way home.
isn't Kobe Beef big over there? I suspect you guys will be eating a lot of fish. Both Mrs. CI and I enjoy shooting our handguns out in the back 40 away from the houses. The sound bothers our old dog so we don't do it on our property but go up on some private land I have permission to hunt. I would miss shooting and hunting but do think it would be cool to visit Japan but I doubt I could live anywhere "happily"other than here on the Island.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

isn't Kobe Beef big over there? I suspect you guys will be eating a lot of fish. Both Mrs. CI and I enjoy shooting our handguns out in the back 40 away from the houses. The sound bothers our old dog so we don't do it on our property but go up on some private land I have permission to hunt. I would miss shooting and hunting but do think it would be cool to visit Japan but I doubt I could live anywhere "happily"other than here on the Island.
Our house has a built in fish broiler. If you want steak, apparently you have to go to a restaurant. The wife of one of sachiko's colleagues has been showing her around, best places to shop for groceries, clothes, etc. She is also getting updated on some of the local lore and customs. She says the people are incredibly friendly and helpful.

The girls can walk to school - same school all the way through high school. It's one of the schools that enables you to go to university. They had to be tested to be admitted. Grandma thought of everything. We're extremely grateful to her for everything she has done.

You can believe that I will be getting into fishing..
Old 05-27-2018, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Our house has a built in fish broiler. If you want steak, apparently you have to go to a restaurant. The wife of one of sachiko's colleagues has been showing her around, best places to shop for groceries, clothes, etc. She is also getting updated on some of the local lore and customs. She says the people are incredibly friendly and helpful.

The girls can walk to school - same school all the way through high school. It's one of the schools that enables you to go to university. They had to be tested to be admitted. Grandma thought of everything. We're extremely grateful to her for everything she has done.

You can believe that I will be getting into fishing..