Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting App

Old 10-30-2015, 05:27 AM
Spike

I spent 21 years in the Army as an Infantryman, so I know how to use a compass ( I use a Silva), map, GPS and a firearm. I am not a tech guy but if technology (easy to use) can increase safety, then I will take a look.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:05 AM
Spike

I used to use ScoutLook. It was a good app to use when i was putting out trail cameras. Over the last two years I have acquired over 35 of them. The app really helped when i had to go back and retrieve them all because there were plenty of times where I i left the woods with 32 cameras and i couldn't recall exactly where the last 4 or 5 were. But as far as safety goes. Like these gents are telling you, an electronic device is not nearly as reliable as a compass and familiarity with your surroundings.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take a phone out into the wilderness and it will drain the battery looking for a signal. Even if you have reception, a phone will not last half a day if you are playing on an app. Keeping a phone turned off for emergency calls only and stashed in a waterproof container is the best way to ensure it will be useable when you need it. Anyone who has spent any time in the field should know this. How can a phone be out in elements, using data and GPS, and be expected to be operable for a day or two to keep you safe. We have a generation of people using electronics as a crutch as well as pretending they know what works in situations they are not prepared for because they have an app.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

Due to my work environment I still use an older style flip phone. So Apps and what not are not available to me.

I will say this tho, In my earlier days I would go to the library or county court house and dig through the filing cabinets (the latest generation may not even know what those are) looking for aerial photos and topo maps of the places I wanted to hunt in an effort to improve my hunting knowledge and skills.
I would make copies or buy the ones that I needed. I still have them laying around with tattered corners from years of use. Pencil marks on them, X's here and there, little notes made. I still use them when I need to.

With that said, with todays technology I can have the entire world at my finger tips in digital high definition satellite imagery. I can zoom in, zoom out, slide over three or four ridges or even to the next county and never loose site of what I'm looking at. All of this while I'm hunting or fishing in real time if I choose to.
I can over lay topo lines, mark stands, way points. Weather forecasts and dang near anything else imaginable all with a device that will fit into the same pocket as my map and compass.

That's pretty neat stuff in my book.

Last edited by tndrbstr; 10-30-2015 at 06:40 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

I use the ScoutLook app. It has a Log feature that allows you to take notes and it will automaticlly attach the date, time, current weather, moon phase, etc to the note forever. So next year on October 30th, i can go back and see if i saw deer or not and what the weather and moon phase was at that time. i think it's great for helping pattern deer and deer movement.

also, for the all the guys bashing using technology with hunting...here you sit on the interent, using an electronic device, trying to learn more about hunting. hmmmm
Old 10-30-2015, 07:29 AM
Spike

I wouldn't rely on the phone in the wilderness, so really a different topic. I trained my kids to hunt and enjoy the outdoors using the basics. But to say technology is not driving hunting, fishing, and any other outdoor activity is a little short sided.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

Get some of he small portable recharging units that also act like an external battery and you can extend the life of your phone. I have two that are no bigger than a small flaslight so I have us of my phone all day if I want. I also put it into air mode to stop the constant searching for a bettr signal. Understanding the device and how it works will extend its us.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:29 AM
Dominant Buck

The last 4 posters have all made some valid points. There is no stopping technology and we all have the option of accepting it or not. I for one have really benefited by some of the newer stuff but never will forget my basics.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Well Brandon, when you were 9, I was already teaching hunter safety classes, and outdoor survival skills and I still am. Those skills come with no batteries required and will not fail me or the people I taught and don't require a back up. I sincerely believe that in a couple of decades, perhaps less hunters will not leave the safety of their vehicles unless they have some kind of electronic guidance system. Battery operated devices are taking the place of our brains and not for the better. There is a big difference between a better sighting system or release aids that help make a clean humane kill and a device that is used to take the place of basic outdoor skills, clearly that is the case. as a matter of fact, from what I have seen over the last couple of decades, more and more hunters never get more than 100 yards from a trail or logging road for fear of getting lost. As far as the ability to track a wounded animal well I won;t even open that door, sufice it to say a great number of hunters are entirely unprepared to go afield. That is a sad commentary on hunters and hunting, and society in general. And while the younger generations won't leave home without them, electronic devices are dumbing down our country and making generations of lazy people who are perfectly content to allow a machine to think for them. I assure you, if this country lost electric power for a month or more and after people got done fighting for the batteries that were still on the shelves, there would be a panic like you have never seen. Hunting and outdoor skills such as tracking and orienteering, knowing how to find edible things in the wild and making food is one of the few things left that attaches some of us to the past and I really find it repugnant for someone who couldn't find their way out of a three sided room at high noon with a flashlight in hand to call themselves hunters and outdoors men. Now you can get your knickers in a twist if you want over what I am saying, I really don't care as it is the truth.
Oldtimr there is no difference they both take the skill out of it. An optic lets you see farther at greater range and a range finder judges the range for you versus learning how to field judge. Do you use trail cameras? That takes the aspect of spending more time in the woods scouting. Compound bows take the as aspect to having to learn instinctive shooting. A lot of modern equipment you or I use every day takes a lot of skill out of the equation. All I was just stating is what I experienced in school. Yes you are right If this country lost electricity there would be a huge panic in general. Since you brought up losing electricity. Say it was down and stayed down for a while. How many citizens can’t plant, can’t hunt, is not physically fit, will need medication because the fact they aren’t physically fit nor take care of themselves diet wise, can’t purify water, etc. The fact is you, I and everyone else lives in the machine and embrace it on a daily basis. My knickers aren’t in a bunch I was just stating the obvious about schools and today’s society.

Originally Posted by flags
Which makes you a whopping 22 now! In 2002 I was at sea on the USS Nashville LPD-13 in the Persian Gulf hauling the 24th MEU to Iraq. Your generation, maybe not you personally, but your generation would be lost without the newest electronic doohickey. Speaking for myself, I hate the things!
I know my generation and the ones coming up after would be completely lost. If they never find a way to mediate the use but from what I see everyone's wold is in smart phones. Actually honestly it has came to a point where most of the population in general has become sheep. Just walk around and watch how many people walk while looking at their phones.. It amazes me that people have no idea on what goes on around them. I work in the IT field for now (going to school for Environmental Engineering then trying to get into wildlife management). Technology can be bliss and a pain in the butt at the same time. I enjoy the apps but will not forget what I was taught. Both of y'all might dislike the technological advancement but from how I am seeing it looks like there is plenty of enjoyment.

The outdoor thing was exaggerated and something I don’t know why I related it to school. Maybe because some schools I went to actually offered stuff I associated with being in the outdoors. But in the end a lot of equipment we use in hunting is a crutch and in life in general. We might not see it but it is a crutch or not a crutch but makes it more ease of use so we can enjoy the hunt more... Just depends on the way the individual looks at it.

Last edited by Brandon_SPC; 10-30-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:16 PM
Spike

good discussion; I am using the premium version of the app for this season and will see how it goes. hard to beat the data package for the price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.