Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tink's #69

Old 10-29-2015, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tink's #69

Wally World had a small bottle of this stuff on sale along with a "Mini Bomb". It has a sketch on the back of the card showing placement of the lure upwind of your stand. I went to the web site, it was more about selling you additional products then instruction. I see that you can just put some lure in the bomb and set or hang it out with the wick up and you can use a drag to make a trail for a buck to follow. I will give it a try in a couple of weeks. I am sure that someone has used this stuff, is it effective? Any advice on its use? Thanks.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:35 AM
Dominant Buck

My own opinion is it is a very good lure....luring people to buy and not so much for deer. Last time I tried it and smelled it ....it smelled like oil of anise not deer pee.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Save your money, just wizz on the ground where you would put deer lure.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

The only scents I have had genuine luck with were ones from deer farmers that were freshly obtained and kept in controlled temp in a fridge. Every one I have seen from a bottle in a store smells like ammonia. I never smelled ammonia in the deer woods.

The ammonia smell in the store bought stuff comes from bacteria forming during decay of the scent, which may contain deer urine, but is not necessarily 100% urine. Deer urine in the woods doesn't start smelling like ammonia because it absorbs into the soil and breaks down naturally. So ammonia is not something that deer could be used to smelling in the deer woods so IMO it would act more as a repellent than an attractant.

Real, fresh deer urine doesn't have much of a smell at all.

If you want some serious buck lure there are 2 ways to get the best available and you can only get them right from the source.

1. Shoot a doe that is in heat, carefully gut, collect her urine and either use it that day or keep cool for use in the next week.

2. Shoot a buck during rut and again carefully collect his fresh urine AND one of his tarsal glands. You can drizzle the urine over the gland in another hunting area and other bucks will sense unwelcome competition. Again, it has to be kept cool and used pretty quickly.

Last edited by uncle matt; 10-29-2015 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gee, I was hoping it was a deer magnet, lucky I didn't get the big bottle. I will give it a try anyway, maybe the ammonia will keep my sinuses open. If the bucks mob me I will report back. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:47 PM
Dominant Buck

No easy way or shortcuts for deer hunting. Personal scent control at least to me is the most important thing having to do with scents. You hear about people putting out a drag line or hanging scent canisters and having deer race up to the hunter but in my 55 years of hunting it hasn't happened yet....not that I didn't try
Old 10-29-2015, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry I did not look under "Hunting Gear Discussion", there is three pages of back and forth about this and other lures. Seems they have about the same opinion of it over there.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by uncle matt
The only scents I have had genuine luck with were ones from deer farmers that were freshly obtained and kept in controlled temp in a fridge. Every one I have seen from a bottle in a store smells like ammonia. I never smelled ammonia in the deer woods.

The ammonia smell in the store bought stuff comes from bacteria forming during decay of the scent, which may contain deer urine, but is not necessarily 100% urine. Deer urine in the woods doesn't start smelling like ammonia because it absorbs into the soil and breaks down naturally. So ammonia is not something that deer could be used to smelling in the deer woods so IMO it would act more as a repellent than an attractant.

Real, fresh deer urine doesn't have much of a smell at all.

If you want some serious buck lure there are 2 ways to get the best available and you can only get them right from the source.

1. Shoot a doe that is in heat, carefully gut, collect her urine and either use it that day or keep cool for use in the next week.

2. Shoot a buck during rut and again carefully collect his fresh urine AND one of his tarsal glands. You can drizzle the urine over the gland in another hunting area and other bucks will sense unwelcome competition. Again, it has to be kept cool and used pretty quickly.
One thing I forget! Don't touch the tarsals and use a knife or razor blade that you can discard. Those tarsals are nasty!!!!
Old 10-29-2015, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Something else you forgot Matt, you can freeze all that stuff for next season as well! Granted it's not AS potent as fresh from a day or 2 kill but it has been very effective for me for 40+ years now. My trick with the tarsal glands is to put them in the bag with the buck urine, let it soak for a couple hours THEN freeze. The Doe urine, I will "tie off" the bladder and seal that into a bag then freeze bladder and all for next season. I do suggest double bagging though. Just in case. Also, block off a small section of the freezer for these things. Or use a totally separate freezer. I have one of those small "collage" fridge/freezers out in the shop just for stuff like that. Keeps the boss (wife) from putting my own "personals" in a freezer if ya get my drift

As far as stinks 69, that stuff will absolutely lure in immature curious deer sometimes. But I have seen mature Bucks and Does get a wiff of it in the air and hit the bricks in the other direction.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

It has to work, Just has to they've been selling that stuff for a long time and the market seems to still be there cause I see it on the shelf at hunting stores every year just before bow season opens. Can't be that many newbies every year to sustain the market, can there?

Al