Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

7mm mag

Old 10-20-2015, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have shot them in the neck at 40 yards.

Dropped in his tracks; as if he was bedded.

He then sat up and looked straight at me - put down my cell phone and shot him again in the same spot.

He kicked and bleed out right there..................

No tell'in - that's nature; It needs to play out.

There is no magic bullet !!!
Old 10-21-2015, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

No magic bullet is right. I shoot a .280 and have shot a ton of deer with it. I use (7mm) 139gr Hornady Interlocks (handloads) running right at 3000fps. I usually always have a good bloodtrail, sometimes they run a little ways, sometimes not at all. Once in a while I'll get one that goes a decent ways, deer are tough. The cup/core bullet has proven to be my favorite over the years for deer sized game. They just work. My BIL shoots a 7mag and likes the 154gr Hornady Interlocks. Neither of us have shot the SST's, but I know many folks like em.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

HatchieLuvr first I'm glad to see there someone else on here who chases those West Tenn river bottom bucks !! Now, I use a TC ProHunter in 7 mag. I shoot Remington Accu Tips. They are basically the SST bullet. I have shot several deer with this combo and, I may this season, but have not lost one yet. Normally I either watch them fall or hear them fall. I have had these rounds not exit on some shots, shoulder. IMO the bullet dumps its entire energy into the animal when there is no exit. I have a Remington 700 in 270 and I shoot the same round in it as well, and have had those round not exit as well. When you dump ALL that energy into the deer, they can't stand that. So it doesn't bother me.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

I've been shooting the 150 grain power point by Winchester in 7mm. I've shot several hogs and deer with this load and it does the job. Some shots have been over 200 yards and zero tracking required. These maybe worth a try for you. Good luck
Old 10-23-2015, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

My favorite bullets whitetail bullets have been the SSTs and interlock bullets. All the deer I have killed with the SSTs haven't ran farther than 40 yards (Most don't go father than 10 yards). When it comes to my whitetail round I want something that dumps all it's energy into the animal. Also while using the inter lock what I have noticed is it performs just like and SSTS. Here is what I have noticed on both bullets. If the shot is under 50 yards both bullets will enter the animals and normally you will not have an exit. Except on buck I shot last year was a completely pass through at 40 yards and he ran 30 yards and piled up. Blood was every where. From 50-100 yards the results very you will have exits and not. Normally the exits are about the ping pong size to tennis ball. The deer I have shot from 100-210 yards which is my farthest all of them have been exits with good blood trail. Now I just shoot Hornadys American Whitetail which is loaded with and interlock bullet. I love them and the work great on our deer down here that average 100- 150lbs (Florida Panhandle). I also shoot the .270 130 gr. If you want pass throughs buy a bonded bullet or coppers bullets like Accubond or TSX both the SST and Interlock are meant or rapid expansion. You will get these results whether you shoot a 243, 270, 30-06, 7mm-08 or in your case 7mm. So pick the bullet for the application.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/318...ProductFinding

Last edited by Brandon_SPC; 10-23-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Brandon, of all the years and all the hogs, whitetail, elk and moose I have taken using the interlock and interbond bullets out of several cartridges, I have recovered exactly 3 bullets. 2 from Elk and one from a moose. All 3 of those were shot from 175 to 200 yards and were dead on center of shoulder. The 2 from elk were recovered in the off side hide and the one from the moose was in about the middle of the off side shoulder bone. These hits were from .30/06 loaded fairly hot. The SST's are indeed rapid expanding bullets and I used to use them a lot until I had a couple blow up on close range shoulder shots. The interlocks are NOT designed for rapid expansion. The interBONDS have more in common with the SST's but they still have a more controlled expansion than the SST's. Taken a lot of whitetail with 7mm08 rounds and have yet to recover a bullet when I loaded up interlocks. My favorite shot is high shoulder. Taken literally thousands of hogs with 7mm08, 6.8spc, and .458SOCOM with all three sporting interlocks and interbonds loads. Hogs ranging from 60 pound roasters to 300 pound sausage hogs and I always seem to blow through them. If you are not getting pass through performance on them little Florida whitetail then you aren't shooting interlocks or you are loading them up with anemic loads.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Brandon, of all the years and all the hogs, whitetail, elk and moose I have taken using the interlock and interbond bullets out of several cartridges, I have recovered exactly 3 bullets. 2 from Elk and one from a moose. All 3 of those were shot from 175 to 200 yards and were dead on center of shoulder. The 2 from elk were recovered in the off side hide and the one from the moose was in about the middle of the off side shoulder bone. These hits were from .30/06 loaded fairly hot. The SST's are indeed rapid expanding bullets and I used to use them a lot until I had a couple blow up on close range shoulder shots. The interlocks are NOT designed for rapid expansion. The interBONDS have more in common with the SST's but they still have a more controlled expansion than the SST's. Taken a lot of whitetail with 7mm08 rounds and have yet to recover a bullet when I loaded up interlocks. My favorite shot is high shoulder. Taken literally thousands of hogs with 7mm08, 6.8spc, and .458SOCOM with all three sporting interlocks and interbonds loads. Hogs ranging from 60 pound roasters to 300 pound sausage hogs and I always seem to blow through them. If you are not getting pass through performance on them little Florida whitetail then you aren't shooting interlocks or you are loading them up with anemic loads.
Look at the two (added the third for the interbond) picture below the only difference between the two is one has a plastic tip and one has a lead tip, also the SST is a boat tail versus the interlocks flat base or boat tail depending on caliber. Both are held together by Hornady's Interlock ring, both have the same lead core and copper jacket thickness. I am shooting interlocks. I am shooting the Hornady's American Whitetail offering which is loaded with a 130gr interlock bullet. This is the load offering I use during rifle season. http://www.hornady.com/store/270-Win...terLock-SP-AW/ I also have shot whitetails with the same load offerings in 30-06, 243, and 270. Friends shoots a 7mm-08 and they all do the same thing from what I have described above. That is just my experience and my father uses the same load offering in 270. He gets the samething. The only thing the interbonds and a SST have in common is the plastic tip. The interbonds have a bonded core, a thicker jacket than both the SST or interlock, also has an expansion control ring versus hornady's interlock ring. I get pass throughs with both offerings and don't with both offering. The one from last year I was using the interlocks shot him at around 40 yards complete pass through then shot an 8pt an hour later at 80 yards and didn't have a pass through.
Pictures below:
Attached Thumbnails 7mm mag-2015-10-23_13-12-45.jpg   7mm mag-sst.jpg   7mm mag-interlock.jpg   7mm mag-interlock-2.jpg   7mm mag-2015-10-23_13-23-08.jpg  

Last edited by Brandon_SPC; 10-23-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the input. Guess I will step up to 150gr. Would love to start reloading my own but just not in the cards in the near future, time and initial investment and space restrictions.