Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Solo? Female...

Old 10-18-2015, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

They are blue grouse, also known as dusky grouse. I use an old Rem 22 pump I inherited from my grandfather on them. I try to take a half dozen or so every time I'm back in CO and the season is open.[/QUOTE]

They look like they'd be fun hunting, nice sized bird. Are they mainly out on the prairies? I don't recall seeing them when I've been in Colorado, but I've spent all my time there in the mountains. Alright, back to the regularly scheduled programming.
-Jake
Old 10-18-2015, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bocajnala

They look like they'd be fun hunting, nice sized bird. Are they mainly out on the prairies? I don't recall seeing them when I've been in Colorado, but I've spent all my time there in the mountains. Alright, back to the regularly scheduled programming.
-Jake
They are fun. They are a bird of the mountains. You find them mostly where the pines and aspens merge and there are clearings. Not a very spooky bird since not a lot of people hunt them. But they sure are tasty. I like to keep some in the freezer ready to go.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by flags
They are fun. They are a bird of the mountains. You find them mostly where the pines and aspens merge and there are clearings. Not a very spooky bird since not a lot of people hunt them. But they sure are tasty. I like to keep some in the freezer ready to go.
Is this one? If so, I have seen them, just didn't realize what it was I was taking pictures of.
-Jake

Old 10-18-2015, 12:50 PM
Spike

Like Flags said they are a mountain bird, size wise they are about halfway between a Ruffled grouse and a pheasant. Here in Idaho they seem to really like to hang out on the edges of timbered canyons. Fun to hunt, but when they flush in canyon area like that and you shoot them 40 yards out or so it can be some pretty straight up and down retrievals, lol.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I hunt alone. The last remaining one in a group of 6 at our UP Mich. deer camp.
My last remaining partner passed in 2005, I invited a couple of guys to go in 2006 and little did I know they were lazy slugs. I now just go it alone. I carry my cell phone with me in the field so I can call if I get in trouble and need help. I also keep my old GPS handy and I no longer push beyond boundary's I know well.

About all I miss is sitting around in the evening talking about old times with old friends. Not to mention all the little tricks pulled on one another in the morning too.

I still have a group I hang out with and coyote hunt with off and on but not for any thing else.

Al
Old 10-19-2015, 03:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Is this one? If so, I have seen them, just didn't realize what it was I was taking pictures of.
-Jake

Those are ptarmigan. Blue grouse are more of a greyish blue and they will be a little bigger.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SunShiney
Thanks! I can't stand it -- so I'm getting ready to go. My first solo hunt!

I have concealed but I'm so far from population -- not a freeway for 100 miles -- and we have little incidence of crime here -- so not too worried about the 2-legged type. Thank you for that nice thought, though.

If I am lucky, I'll do a gutless field dress and take the meat only. But if I stumble on a huge one or an elk, well, that's going to take some thinking to get out!

Ok...here I go.....
I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

But I'm glad to see you have decided to get out there and do it. Please come back and let us know how you did.

I'm quite a bit older than my wife, so this is a situation we have openly discussed and for which we have prepared.

I can see how the other gals aren't happy about the idea of you hunting with their husbands, but maybe they wouldn't mind if one of the guys helped you drag back your kill. I don't know about the terrain there, but maybe you could get one of those ATVs for the dragging. I would see that as your biggest problem.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:31 PM
Spike

Default Turn it around

Sun Shiney, where do you live? Surely there must be someone to hunt with you. At least one girlfriend who secretly has the itch to try it. I would love to make some new hunting friends. I can't believe there are no other hunters who would like a new hunting buddy. If not, piss on'em. Go get you one. I truly hope it turns around for you and I wish you good luck.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Redneck Savvy
Sun Shiney, where do you live? Surely there must be someone to hunt with you. At least one girlfriend who secretly has the itch to try it. I would love to make some new hunting friends. I can't believe there are no other hunters who would like a new hunting buddy. If not, piss on'em. Go get you one. I truly hope it turns around for you and I wish you good luck.

I think I told you.................... you'll be just fine.

Go out and have some fun !!!
Old 10-20-2015, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Our sports men club has a group of ladies who hunt. It is a pretty big group but they all don't hunt the same things or way. Splinter groups are bow deer hunters, another group are squirrel small game hunters and yet another has dogs and chase coons all night long.
They even sponcer a coyote hunting contest in January with prizes for the biggest and most coyotes a person brings in in 24 hours.

Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.