Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Too late for a ground blind?

Old 10-15-2015, 07:05 AM
Spike

Default Too late for a ground blind?

My folks just bought a new property with acreage and it has never been hunted. Zero pressure on the deer and they are not jumpy or skittish. almost like city deer. I normally hunt from a climber stand but my daughter is begging to come hunting with me in 3 days. If I throw my ground blind up today will I totally strike out or should the boldness of these deer hold out?
Old 10-15-2015, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just brush it in well and take your daughter !!!
Old 10-15-2015, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

To me the most important thing is taking your daughter. Yes a new ground blind will be noticed by the deer. How they react remains to be seen. If it were just you I would say find yourself a natural blind like a blow down and brush.

Don't know the age of your daughter but keep in mind that kids have short attention spans so be sure to bring things to keep her occupied. (yes even if it is a video game thing - keeping her occupied if she bores of watching out of the blind). Don't forget some snacks.

Happy hunting.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get a Ghost Blind. You can set them up anywhere including in a plowed field.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by uncle matt
To me the most important thing is taking your daughter. Yes a new ground blind will be noticed by the deer. How they react remains to be seen. If it were just you I would say find yourself a natural blind like a blow down and brush.

Don't know the age of your daughter but keep in mind that kids have short attention spans so be sure to bring things to keep her occupied. (yes even if it is a video game thing - keeping her occupied if she bores of watching out of the blind). Don't forget some snacks.

Happy hunting.
Great opportunity for quality time. Great chance to see how well she deals w/ nature. Hear the sound? what animal makes that noise. Let's see if we can spot that animal without it seeing us or scaring any others away. Be patient, make it count and have a great time.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

My experience .... tote in the ground blind, set it up, brush it in and hunt away. I have killed a many a deer including some nice bucks within 2-3 hours, and a few times less, after setting up a ground blind.

And from my 67 year old "grandpa" point of view, taking your daughter hunting trumps killing a deer anyway. Good luck !
Old 10-16-2015, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

You'll be fine. Just try to cover it up a little if you can. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator

Take your daughter and go! The deer may or may not show up. My guess is, if there isn't any pressure there, they wont be bothered much by the blind.
-Jake
Old 10-17-2015, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default A ground blind will probably appear

like those funny things in blaze orange that show up most years at this time. Movement and noise will bother the deer more.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:12 AM
Typical Buck

I have seen many many deer walk right up close to a tractor parked in a field. Something new showing up might catch there attention but I don't think it will cause them to just take off and never come back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.