Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 hey buddy what are you doing up in the tree >

hey buddy what are you doing up in the tree

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hey buddy what are you doing up in the tree

Old 10-17-2003, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hey buddy what are you doing up in the tree

I swear I think it' s being bred into their instincts or something. I' ve actually watched deer walking along....looking around up in the trees. It' s almost predictable now. They just look for trouble I guess. I usually get stared at plenty of times during the season...majority of the time they dismiss me and go on about their business(if I don' t screw up). It just seems weird to me to see how much they look up now. 20 years ago they never looked up at all it seemed.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:44 AM

back when tree stands first came out and most people either stalked or sat on the ground, the deer sure got surprised by a hunter off the ground. I feel they have sure come acustomed to seeing people in trees and off the ground. I agree with Gryan and WV Hunter 100%. What is the next trick we can do to fool them? Good Luck!! -- CDH

Old 10-17-2003, 01:29 PM

yea, i' ve had deer look up at me in the tree ...this action is generally followed by them hitting the ground
Old 10-21-2003, 08:04 PM

it depends on where you hunt, but if there are cougars in the area they will look up becasue a cougar will sit in a branch and ambush a small deer, and the mothers will look out for their young, another reason is that they are there every day and then one day your there and they know something is wrong. they just might sense that something is different and would rather not take the chance to see what it is.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:28 PM

Most of the time in your tree stand, you backdrop is the sky. The deer see
a big weird lookin' bulk of somthin in the tree. Usally the deer dont pay it know mind. But dont forget, every hunt is about 75% LUCK any waz!
Old 10-22-2003, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve had it happen a couple times when my stand was around 15' . Once I started climbing to around 25' I' ve yet to have it happen.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

One time, I was 30 plus feet high in a tree, watching some does steadily walk a trail that goes beneath me. I was completely motionless, against the tree with camo on and everything, and WASN' T even going to shoot. Yet the lead doe looked up at me when it was within 10 yards of my stand. That is odd, since it had to look up steeply at me from that close. She stopped and trotted away, other does in tow, only to come out about 40 yards behind me about 10 or 15 minutes later. That time, I decided not to wait for a buck, but to go ahead and fill my tag, and I popped the lead doe with my open sight muzzleloader in hopes it was the same one who saw me before. Of all my hunting experiences that was the most unbelieveable time I got busted. It was as though she had ESP or something...
Old 10-22-2003, 11:35 AM

How high are you guys up there?

This deer stand that I am going to use I cant imagine them looking up at me here.
If they do I will split him or her between the eyes,with the .308

Troy