Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

smartphone calls?

Old 10-13-2015, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to learn something then pay attention. Many people who live around me are farmers. I hunt forests adjacent to pig, cattle, horse, and sheep livestock when I hunt local. I hunt whitetail deer, wild turkey, and coyote regularly on these properties. I have the options to hunt squirrel, rabbit, ducks, geese, fox, and racoons. There is no comparison to killing livestock on a farm and hunting wild game in the wild. Man made tools has made it a little easier to hunt as you put it, but you must understand these animals are still wild and untame, definitely more skiddish around people. I have been on deer reduction hunts on government land that never see hunters but 4 days every other year. They are easier to hunt than areas with hunting pressure. So frequently hunted animals are harder to hunt than ones that aren't. I think it offsets some of the advances in tech.

As for phones I do occasionally use them for things on a hunt. Time, sunrise and set, maps, and weather to name a few. I learned to hunt and navigate before portable phones and computers, and when the two merged into a smartphone. As convenient as they are I advise against putting too much stock into fragile devices that run on batteries. I still can't get over the point of red dot sights, but I do like these new illuminated scopes with a standard reticle. Back to my point, hard earned experience beats new tech. Try learning both but put more emphasis on the experience part. You will turn out more successful and will have spent less money in the long run. BTW electronic deer calls are illegal where I live.

Last edited by d80hunter; 10-13-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:35 PM
Typical Buck

Illegal to use in Va also.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:02 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
BLAH, BLAH, BLAH

I've looked over your posts, all 10 of them. I see nothing you offer. Run along Junior.
Originally Posted by flags
BLAH, BLAH, BLAH

I've looked over your posts, all 10 of them. I see nothing you offer. Run along Junior.
...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 10-13-2015 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Rules 2, 4, 6, 8 & 12--2 month temp ban.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

There is a big difference between using something like a mouth call and pushing a button and have a machine make calls for you. And the rest of What you posted is a load of nonsense, you still need practice and skill to shoot a compound bow or a rifle well. How much skill does it take to push a button to play a prerecorded call? I will save you from having to think about it, the answer is zero! It would behoove you to learn something before you go one the internet lecture circuit and expound on your inexperience. There is a reason recorded calls are not legal in every state that I am aware of for hunting game animals and game birds. After your last couple of posts, you have already proven you aren't ready to learn anything, you already know it all.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
There is a big difference between using something like a mouth call and pushing a button and have a machine make calls for you.
A BIG difference.
I would even go a step farther and suggest the they can not even be compared to each other in an actual hunting environment.

An electronic caller can not adjust itself based on visual cues of an animals body language or temperament. It can't tell when to call or when not to, how loud or softly to call or even what types of sounds that need to be used based on an animals reaction to it. And That is the key to calling most any animal up close and personal.
That also requires a some what minimal degree of learned knowledge about the social as well the physiological characteristics of the animal your hunting to be consistently successful at it in my opinion. You don't learn that stuff riding up and down the road.

I wouldn't use an electronic call even if they were legal to use where I hunt. There is no heart in it, and that's just not they way I like to play the game.

Last edited by tndrbstr; 10-13-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by nwal
...Deleted by CalHunter...
Probably more than you do. ...Deleted by CalHunter... Was it this comment: "Buddy with an attitude like that you're in for a rough road on this forum. That statement alone tells me you don't know much about deer hunting."

You sure seem to have taken it personally clear down to multiple insults. Grow up Junior. When you've done a little hunting and have taken a few game animals, get back to me. By the way, can't help but notice not one member seems to be lining up behind you. Do you know why? Because you're acting foolish. You might want to take a look at the forum rules. You've just broken about 5 of them.

Last edited by CalHunter; 10-13-2015 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Rule 2--warning.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Going back to the OP's original question, it looks like all members responding do not use electronic or cell phone calls or apps for deer hunting. Many members responding have mentioned that it's illegal to do so in their state. Since the OP doesn't list his home state, it is hard to determine whether electronic deer calls or using a smart phone for deer hunting is legal or illegal in his state. He can maybe answer that question when he comes back from his vacation, as long as he posts by the rules.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Going back to the OP's original question, it looks like all members responding do not use electronic or cell phone calls or apps for deer hunting. Many members responding have mentioned that it's illegal to do so in their state. Since the OP doesn't list his home state, it is hard to determine whether electronic deer calls or using a smart phone for deer hunting is legal or illegal in his state. He can maybe answer that question when he comes back from his vacation, as long as he posts by the rules.
Cal, based on his "well thought out" replies I don't think he/she was really interested in exchanging ideas and enabling conversation in a reasonable manner.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

No, he wasn't. He asked for others opinions and was then upset when those opinions were different than his. Kind of intolerant and not a productive way to enable a discussion or debate.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I Deernutz carry a phone with me hunting for two reasons. One in case I have an emergency or someone in my family has one. It's on silent in my coat pocket.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.