HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   October lull (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/40173-october-lull.html)

KoBear 10-16-2003 10:44 AM

October lull

i have read a bunch of stuff on the " october lull" and was wondering, where do you guys find the best success at during october for bucks??

CarolinaDeerHunter 10-17-2003 12:56 PM

RE: October lull

Every Oct. where I live (SC) we tend to go through the pr-rut which last for about a week and then we hit the lull for about 2 weeks right before the full blown rut. I try to hunt hard during the pre-rut. During the lull, I will try and re-pattern the deer as they will begine to change their ways. I will still hunt during the lull since not all bucks come into pre-rut at the same time and some bucks are just starting to get ' turned on' . I am a firm believer that you need to be in the woods as much as possible starting when the pre-rut in your area starts to come in. Don' t get too disapointed or loose intrest if you don' t see as much action during the lull. I see a lot of hunters every year fall into the trap of that and end up missing some great opertunities to harvest some nice deer or to re-patern the deer. When the full blown rut hits, be ready and hunt hard as ANYTHING can happen and the bucks will be much more unpredictable and will move around at any given time. You will also find deer (including bucks) moving back into their bedding areas later in the mornings also so it is better to stay in your stand longer. I hope this helps and I didn' t confuse you. If you have any questions, I will try to help the best I can. Drop me an e-mail or private message. Good Luck!! -- CDH

skeeter 7MM 10-17-2003 02:50 PM

If october presents a " Lull" then I haven' t seen in my parts. Today was evident of that deer were everywhere and still moving in from the fields at 11:00 am, which is a good 3 hours later than normal for my area. Today I saw the most deer of the year in only 4 hours of hunting and some good quality bucks to boot(just no shots were presented:()! The weather was clear and warm, so no real reason for them to be moving...except possibly prerut is coming upon us:D. I find the whitetail up here go " lull" in the first week of Nov. this is prior to full blown rut...but maybe the same as you experience in october. However somedays you see them everywhere(like today) and other you can' t scare up a tail (possibly tomorrow)..hunting has so many unexplained events, maybe thats why it is so fun/challenging!!!

Harry_Bucknuts 10-17-2003 04:20 PM

Well Skeeter it seems you jst confirmed what Car. Deer Hunter said. Different locations different times for this to take place. The lul is real and it happens. :D