HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Mock Scrape (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/401658-mock-scrape.html)

jdb_77 09-26-2015 11:44 AM

Mock Scrape

When is a good time to start a mock scrape? And what should I use in it?

bigmster127 09-27-2015 01:39 AM

i was thinking the same thing, im curious too. was thinking of trrying mock scrape with some active scrape in a dripper. i just dont know if its too early or not. just dont want to spook um. i think active scrape is more of a curiosity scent though. not positive. any feedback would be great.

alleyyooper 09-27-2015 03:47 AM

Don't you people keep note books when scouting?
If you did you could flip the pages and see (my area of Michigan) buck rubs start showing up average Oct 8th every year. Scrapes start showing up around the 28th of Oct. Chase phase of the rut heavies around Nov 5th.
Easy way to find scrapes is to walk rub lines.

:D Al

uwbadgers 09-27-2015 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by alleyyooper (Post 4220669)
Don't you people keep note books when scouting?
If you did you could flip the pages and see (my area of Michigan) buck rubs start showing up average Oct 8th every year. Scrapes start showing up around the 28th of Oct. Chase phase of the rut heavies around Nov 5th.
Easy way to find scrapes is to walk rub lines.

:D Al

I will also add that it depends on the kind of buck you're targeting. If you're looking for a chance at "any" buck, then you could start making scrapes now and you will have success with younger bucks and possibly a mature one.

If it's mature bucks you're after, then I would agree with Alleyyooper that later October in the midwest is a better bet.

In Wisconsin we can't do any baiting prior to the start of the season. Previously I would create a mock scrape in August as a way to inventory some of my deer and I had success with this. Bucks wouldn't always scrape, but they would check it out.

JGFLHunter 09-27-2015 02:06 PM

I've found scrapes a month ago in my part of the woods..... Did have a new rub come up a week and a half ago though

turkey harvester 09-29-2015 01:15 PM

Start thinking about it before they get hard horned. Deer here in southern Mo have been hard horned for over a month and are even chasing some. If I make a mock scrape I just pee in it myself, put a camera up, and start watching. You'll be suprised.

DIY_guy 10-01-2015 05:18 AM

You would be better serves starting a licking branch and letting the deer create the scrape for you.

MaineRida 10-01-2015 05:11 PM

I agree in the variation dependent on where in the country you are at, but now wouldn't hurt in most places. You might be a little early or right on time but the curiosity factor should result in some action.

ggw44 10-02-2015 04:59 PM

I hunt mid-Michigan and we are starting scrapes this weekend, we have found active ones so its time !!!! :D