Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer vision and camo

Old 09-22-2015, 06:09 AM
Typical Buck

Default Deer vision and camo

There is a lot to be learned about how and what deer see. I have researched everything I can get my hands on as it relates to a deer’s vision. Reading studies, watching videos, listening to researchers has taught me a lot. Reading threads on hunting forums tells me most hunters still are not up to speed in regards to what/how deer see.

Deer do not view their world in black and white. They see color, most notable within the blue spectrum and yellow as well as UV. Their low light advantage comes at a cost in regards to what we would consider a form of colorblindness but they see color. That same low light vision also comes at a cost in regards to image clarity. They don’t see as well as we think. Their best defense is their ability to spot movement which is why guys wearing blue jeans washed with UV brighteners are still killing deer.

That horizontal pupil is their downfall as it relates to treestand hunters. Their vision is better at the horizon and worse above and below their straight forward gaze.

Camo (like fishing lures) is made to catch the eyes and pocket books of people. It means squat to deer. They don’t see like we see. If you donned a wild pattern and super colorful Hawaiian shirt, you would look like an idiot to most hunters but to a deer, you would look no different than had you dropped big $$$$ on some overpriced camo brand. We still have that army camo mentality that makes us think because it fools human eyes and hides us from other hunters, it must also be working for deer. We fail to consider that humans are trichromatic while deer are dichromatic.

In almost 40 years of hunting deer with gun and bow, I have had deer look right at (and through) me while wearing solid blaze orange and blue jeans and not become alarmed. Why? Because I didn’t move. Think about this "movement" when you are decoying since its key to decoying success. They cant even find a motionless deer look-alike unless it moves.

That being said, I like camo (even if its meaningless in regards to a deers eyes) because I also hunt other critters like bear and turkey (who see color and movement like no other animal but again movement is the key).

I make a lot of my camo or buy bargain basement/on sale/ yard sale camo. Its just not important. Last weekend I had a few occasions over a couple days where deer bedded between 6 feet and 20 yards of me in wide open trees while sitting in a ladder stand. All of them looked right at me at some point. None of them cared. None of them bolted or even stomped. I didnt move, they didnt care.

On cold mornings, My worst enemy is a ray of sunlight and frosty breath. Every exhale produces that misty, moving cloud that gives me away. Opening weekend it got me noticed by a doe and then later a buck. I wish I could fix that because I stopped worrying about camo a long time ago. Worry more about movement, sound and scent.

We buy camo for the human eye (nothing wrong with that if you want to hide from other people and as hunters we do that to some degree) but from a deer's standpoint, all the below patterns would be equally effective.

top row Corrected for deer's vision.

Some videos to watch.

Sales pitch coupled with good thinking.

Not as useful but some wisdom

Sale pitch and science.

almost useful

http://outdoorchannel.com/article.as...letype=article

http://www.outdoorhub.com/stories/20...deer-eyesight/

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...icwdm_usdanwrc

http://www.petersenshunting.com/deer...ht-whitetails/

http://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/big...-see-and-hear/

Last edited by DIY_guy; 09-22-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

DIY,

What do you think about 3-D camo ?

................ after all it "moves" with the wind.

Interested in your opinion !
Old 09-22-2015, 09:36 AM
Typical Buck

I use it myself. I make most of my own camo but I dont just make it for deer hunting. I dont have deer dedicated camo. I hunt other animals with better eyesight where I think it means more. Ive made guillie suits, leafy jackets and pants, etc but mainly for turkey. For deer it does no harm (and in regards to deer that is the primary goal in concealment).
Old 09-22-2015, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by DIY_guy
I use it myself. I make most of my own camo but I dont just make it for deer hunting. I dont have deer dedicated camo. I hunt other animals with better eyesight where I think it means more. Ive made guillie suits, leafy jackets and pants, etc but mainly for turkey. For deer it does no harm (and in regards to deer that is the primary goal in concealment).
+1

Only "type" of camo I buy now.....................

I buy various color schemes based on the terrain I am hunting in.

For me coyotes / bobcats are the main objective !
Old 09-22-2015, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the 3 d camo but not for the camo, mine has the bug netting for use in the early fall archery season when those no seeums are so dang irritating!
Old 09-22-2015, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

To me in the woods the camo outfits would stand out much less than the other 2 in the adjusted for deer vision picture.

I don't overly worry about camo when deer hunting and Movement is certainly key but lets not outsmart ourselves here.....patterns that match our background stand out less than patterns that don't

Last edited by rockport; 09-23-2015 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

I would think being close up, 10 to 40 yards from a deer, would be more of a concern on movement for deer not to see you than from 100 to 200 yards. My guess was wrong! haha Now scent, on the other hand, would definitely be more a concern close up rather than far off, but still need to cover your scent & hunt the wind either way. Great post, DIY!
Old 09-23-2015, 07:13 AM
Fork Horn

i bought new outterwear last year and being well aware of how deer see the world through their eyes have resolved that my camo serves 3 purposes.
in order of importance to me:
1. scent profile - the locals in the towns around the parts that i hunt scoff at me for wearing "fancy camo" being the work shirts and blue jeans they wear work just fine. true, but 9 out of 10 of them hunt primarily from a truck whereas i am walking or shooting from a blind or stand while playing the wind. my hunting gear is just that, hunting gear. i don't don it until i am leaving my vehicle to hit the field and it comes off when i am leaving the field. i laugh every time i'm at cabelas and i see guys wearing camo around the store that they don't think twice about using when they hunt too.
2. insulation - slowly but surely i buy clothes to hunt exclusively in and don't ever wear "street clothes" underneath my gear and concentrate on buying good materials that won't make waiting on an animal a soggy wet, shivering chore.
3. break up - while it has merit i don't rely on my camo to make me invisible but a little extra doesn't hurt.
bottom line, hiding from the animals nose and being quiet should be every hunters main concern when hunting deer.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by JohnnyHildo
but 9 out of 10 of them hunt primarily from a truck
+1

Camo is only important once you get out of your truck - LOL
Old 09-23-2015, 09:25 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
patterns that match our background stand out less than patterns that don't
True. I hunt oak flats, Corn fields, Marsh grass, cedar swamps, Winter, skylines, etc. I dont have a pattern for each of them. Matching does not work unless you are a ladder stand hunter who overhunts the same stand over and over. A mobile hunter that moves to where the deer are will be faced with countless patterns he would try to match.

I say it doesn't matter. Just stay still and kill deer in a plaid shirt while others are dropping big coin on the next greatest pattern.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.