Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Pre-Hunting Prep

Old 09-16-2015, 09:30 AM
Spike

Default Pre-Hunting Prep

Would love to hear what others are doing to prep for the upcoming hunting season. I came across an article specifically for the northwest and would like to share. Obviously, if you're from Maine or Pennsylvania, information may be a little different.

So here's an article that I came across written by Troy Rodakowski title Northwest Pre-Hunting Prep, he has tailored the information for us folks in the northwest.

Here are some highlights that I picked up for the northwest:
Research & Know your Area
-With the drought that was taking place in this past summer this will affect where & how to hunt.
-Research the areas that you're going to hunt, what was a mint area last year, may not be this year.
-Understand the areas with low forage means that few elk will travel at higher elevations or northern slopes to beat the heat and find the best feed.

OK, now for us hunter stuff:
-Hit the range several times with rifle, muzzleloader and archery eqpuipment.
-shoot at different yardages and at different times of the day.
-Practice on windy/rainy/bright days.
-Get in shape, go on a hike - this year will be an epic trek to get that prize.
-Eat a balance diet and hydrate.

Elk & Land stuff:
-Big games will go to the cooler slopes of mountain ridges to seek out secluded creek drainages with water sources, so locate those water areas.

Here's the complete pre-hunt prep article.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Already practiced and prepped for Whitetail, Turkey, and Coyote hunting for this fall and winter. I have been going on walks lately and will do some high intensity cardio and some weight training for the next few weeks. I used to be in great shape year round but that gets harder when strong muscles means achy joints.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good stuff. Planning is half the fun.