Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Opening Day (no Luck)

Old 09-14-2015, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Opening Day (no Luck)

So opening day was saturday and the temps where ok, low 70's so not too bad, kind of wished todays weather 50's was then, but hey what can you do.

Seen the area I was hunting had good wind, but also had 8 other hunters checked out for the area. Thinking I would get in there first to get into the creek bottom next to a food plot I got out at about 5:15 to find a parking lot next to the food plot. Luckily every one there with the exception of myself where there to hunt dove in the field.

Knowing this I used an old trail to get around the food plot and creek bottom to the opposite side. Thinking the deer will move through the bottom away from the food plot when the dove guys start shooting essentially pushing the deer my way, still good wind for this.

Since I was planning to hunt a bottom, I didn't bring a stand so I set up at the base if this big pine tree with a view of two fire break trails deer always use meeting at this intersection.

About 5:30 (dark as crap) heard some leaves rustle next to me a few feet away. Can't see anything but the noise was quiet as can be so I still get my crossbow ready in case. After all I have had bobcats pop up on me before, including raccoon's. A minute or two goes by and no more sound. Then the bush right next to me just explodes with motion and the deer jumps up and over a mound behind me and runs about 40-50 yards and stops. Does his snorting 4-5 times and then silence in the woods again. Evidently he did not like the paths and wanted to walk his own which I seemed to be sitting right in the line of his walking path. After getting my heart back in check I go back to motionless and waiting.

Sunlight and the dove guys start shooting and I hear each time shots go off in the woods but saw nothing else that morning. Actually never saw the deer anyways but, that is my opening day. Was taking out the rest of the day and part of Sunday with a migraine headache setting in that caused some vision issues.

First thoughts from my day, I need to get off the ground, if I did me and the deer would have been just fine, he would have crossed under me never knowing. Second always plan a backup plan to original plan, this would have had me put my stand in the bed of the truck just in case and would have come in handy.

Hope you fellas have a better opener then me. Good luck this season.