Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Where do I get a skinning rack? >

Where do I get a skinning rack?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where do I get a skinning rack?

Old 10-15-2003, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default Where do I get a skinning rack?

Can someone tell me where to find a metal skinning rack (if thats what its called) that has two hooks on each side that I can put through the deers legs and hoist it up in the air using a rope. I had been hunting with a club all of my life and now without them I' ve gotta build something to clean my deer.

Thanks...
Old 10-15-2003, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Where do I get a skinning rack?

I believe what you are looking for is callet a gambrel (sp), cabelas, basspro, or most any other outlet will have what you want. If it' s the frame to hoist it up on, contact a local weld shop.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:52 PM

Do you have any golf balls? It will remove the skin in seconds! What' s the trick? Hang your deer by the neck. Cut off the legs at the knees. Carry the field dressing cut up to the neck and cut around the neck. Pull the skin down until you can get a golf ball on the inside of the neck fully. Tie a stout rope tightly around that golf ball. Fasten that rope to a 4X4, pickup, etc. Start pulling. Just make sure that the deer is hanging from a stout tree limb. Don' t worry, you won' t pull that deer apart. It will seem that way, but it will suddenly release, leaving the carcass completely clean and hardly any hair left on the deer. You will never go back to the old style of skinning once you see how easy this way is.
Russ
Old 10-16-2003, 08:04 AM

Russ: Do you slit the skin on the front legs before you skin it? I' ve only done the golf ball thing once and it worked well, but the skin just wouldn' t pull off the front legs. Too much angle. If I had heavier rope on the neck I might have gunned it and taken my chances.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:53 AM

If you don' t want to buy a gambrel, they don' t cost that much, you can make your own. I' ve had instances where I had 4 deer hanging in my shed at one time and ran out of gambrels so I made some spares using solid 1x2s with notched ends to keep the hind legs spread. Of course, when skinning, I switch the deer over to the metal gambrel as this won' t ever bend or snap.

If you have a buddy who knows how to weld, you can easily make some gambrels. It' s really just like a coat hanger with two hooks on each end to keep the legs spread.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:48 PM

nny243,
Normally, we don' t slit the leg skin. You could, but it' s not nessessary. I realize that there is a point where the skin resists a lot, but we just give the 4X4 ;more gas. When it gets past that point, better be ready to stop. One of the advantages is eliminating loose hair on the carcass. If it makes you a little nervous, go ahead. I' ve busted 2 ropes already. Am now using a 1/2" Manila rope. Makes it tough to get it around that darn golf ball. One thing, make sure the tail has been severed.

Russ
Old 10-16-2003, 03:58 PM
Spike

here are a couple links:

http://www.thesportsauthority.com/pr...entPage=family

http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet...rTarget=browse

on this link they are towards the bottom of the page.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ainCatcat20712

Good Luck this year
Old 10-16-2003, 05:31 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the links and advice everyone