HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   ladder stand brush-in tips? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/401161-ladder-stand-brush-tips.html)

Rushlight 09-02-2015 07:10 AM

ladder stand brush-in tips?

I have a ladder stand that has good cover towards my left, but it is wide open on the right. (Please don't say "move the stand". Thanks ;) )

Does anyone have any good tips on how to add cover to break up my outline from a deer coming in from this side? For example, methods for attaching a tree limb. I was thinking perhaps of getting a stand umbrella -- thoughts on how to best use this to drap cover?

TIA

BrushyPines 09-02-2015 07:23 AM

I usually put burlap around my stands. I attach the burlap to the gun rail with zip ties. I'm sure you could get some zip ties & cut limbs off and attach them to the right side of the stand, if you wanted it to look more natural.

Oldtimr 09-02-2015 07:26 AM

The more brush you have around your ladder stand the smaller your shooting window is. Just buy a die cut camo ladder stand covering and attach it with wire ties. That is all you need to hide movement.

woodenb14 09-02-2015 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by BrushyPines (Post 4216288)
I usually put burlap around my stands. I attach the burlap to the gun rail with zip ties. I'm sure you could get some zip ties & cut limbs off and attach them to the right side of the stand, if you wanted it to look more natural.

I do the exact same thing. You can get camo burlap at most outdoors-type stores

BrushyPines 09-02-2015 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by woodenb14 (Post 4216296)
I do the exact same thing. You can get camo burlap at most outdoors-type stores

Wally world is about the cheapest I've seen. Only con about the burlap is it deteriorates in 2 to 3 years.

Rushlight 09-02-2015 02:13 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone. My FIL gave me a bunch of burlap sacks not long ago, so I have a ready supply of that. I was trying to think of a way to hang it so that it was out to my side. I guess nail a board perpendicular to the tree about shoulder-high, attach the burlap, then secure the bottom to the stand.

Using zip ties to attach branches to the stand's seat and projecting them upwards is a good idea. Zip ties are often a great solution to many things, yet I never seem to think of for some reason, hah!

Between those two, I think I can cut my silhouette. Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'm open to hearing more, too.

BrushyPines 09-02-2015 02:17 PM

Does your stand not have a gun rail attached to it?

Rushlight 09-02-2015 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by BrushyPines (Post 4216374)
Does your stand not have a gun rail attached to it?

No, it does not have a gun rail. It is a very basic 15' ladder stand with a seat with low arms and a foot rest (and a brace that goes against the tree trunk halfway-down).

It does have a heavy gauge mesh for the seat and foot, so I should be able to cram limbs into it and/or zip-tie easily.

I've hunted it mostly with it snugged up to an oak tree, so it was more a matter of clearing shooting lanes. Now I'm hunting in an area that is primarily pine. There's a little gnarly oak to my left that gives cover, but there's a big gap to my right. That makes for one approach that I would be sky-lined if the deer look up.

HatchieLuvr 09-02-2015 06:31 PM

Yep zip ties & some evergreen cuttings & you're in! :party0005:

BrushyPines 09-03-2015 05:14 AM

Yea your best bet is probably attaching limbs with zip ties to the right side. Might take a little longer to do, but it should turn out good!