Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cwd ????

Old 08-29-2015, 02:20 PM
  #21  
Dominant Buck
 
Champlain Islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: On an Island in Paradise
Posts: 22,715
Default

I'll chime in from Vermont. Our state has banned the canned hunting operations, don't allow importation of live deer and elk from other areas, limit killed game from known cwd states and provinces to be meat and no bone other than a rack with cleaned scull cap, eliminated urine based scents and no longer allows deer feeding or baiting. They did all this to reduce the chance of CWD showing up in our state. Once it shows up it will bankrupt our F&W Dept with the extra expense associated with testing and monitoring for years. In addition a majority of our sportsmen embraced this action by our wildlife biologists.
Champlain Islander is offline  
Old 08-29-2015, 03:46 PM
  #22  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Park Falls Wis USA
Posts: 7
Default

I here what your saying gjersy but how do you explain the mule deer in New Mexico that tested positive in the wild with no deer farming operation anywhere remotely close. My point is cwd showed up when they started testing for it. It was here all along. Those numbers came right from the DNR,s study legis.wisconsin.gov/lab/reports/06-13full.pdf titled an evaluation Chronic Wasting Disease, breaks down total cost of what they paid out.
gunnysack2 is offline  
Old 08-29-2015, 05:19 PM
  #23  
Nontypical Buck
 
gjersy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: WI
Posts: 1,089
Default

Hey gunnysack2 how do you explain the CURRENT situation in my hunting grounds?
gjersy is offline  
Old 08-29-2015, 05:21 PM
  #24  
Nontypical Buck
 
gjersy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: WI
Posts: 1,089
Default

Ban deer farms thats a pretty simple fix! Yet it might be to late for our local deer?!
gjersy is offline  
Old 08-30-2015, 04:44 AM
  #25  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Park Falls Wis USA
Posts: 7
Default

Ok ban all the deer farms ,do you think cwd will magically disappear off the face of the earth? I believe your current hunting situation is driven by the dnr,s desire to get rid of baiting in the state. If they had there way there would be no feeding of any kind period.
gunnysack2 is offline  
Old 08-30-2015, 05:37 AM
  #26  
Nontypical Buck
 
rockport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,359
Default

Originally Posted by gjersy
From what i read on the subject, the money payed to these deer farms for compensation comes from federal tax dollars, the US Dept of Ag. The deer farm near Portage WI that had an extremely high % of CWD was actually bought by the state of Wisconsin in the aftermath! One thing we've learned from deer farms, is that where there is an un-naturally high concentration of deer, too many times there is CWD. I don't blame the DNR for banning baiting in my area, i blame the negligent deer farmer thats located in Eau Claire county 100%. The answer to this issue of spreading CWD is to ban deer farms, in my opinion it should've been done long ago.
What if they just did more regulating? can everybody win?

Some interesting discussion in this thread.

I personally don't care for the genetic freak type deer farming but I don't hate the idea of farming deer all together.
rockport is offline  
Old 08-30-2015, 07:21 AM
  #27  
Nontypical Buck
 
gjersy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: WI
Posts: 1,089
Default

Originally Posted by rockport
What if they just did more regulating? can everybody win?

Some interesting discussion in this thread.

I personally don't care for the genetic freak type deer farming but I don't hate the idea of farming deer all together.
I wish Wisconsin did have more regulations. Rick Vojtik the deer farm's owner said he never had a deer test positive for CWD before the 7 year old doe did. He did admit he imports deer from other areas including other states, importing deer has lead to spreading CWD. At this deer farm he had 167 deer on 12 acres, Anytime you have that high of a concentration of deer it can't be healthy. And when you have a deer farm with CWD and fences that get knocked down it's not a good combination.
gjersy is offline  
Old 08-30-2015, 07:41 AM
  #28  
Nontypical Buck
 
MudderChuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Germany/Calif.
Posts: 2,664
Default

Originally Posted by rockport
What if they just did more regulating? can everybody win?

Some interesting discussion in this thread.

I personally don't care for the genetic freak type deer farming but I don't hate the idea of farming deer all together.
One of the bigger problems I've gleaned form reading some, is they just don't know exactly what they are dealing with. The normal progression of the disease is often long term, so the testing to determine simple cause and effect takes a long time. They can speed up the infection process, but studying the natural process can take generations.

Deer population densities are a factor in most, if not all Deer disease.

It seems to stay in the soil for a long time, kind of reminds me of Anthrax, which can lay dormant in the soil a very long time.

In the places where it is endemic, some/most of the surviving Deer likely have some sort of genetic protection. Transporting the disease to places where the Deer don't have this genetic protection is dumb.

Just a random thought that popped into my head, is I wonder if it can't be carried by truck bumpers and trains? They say it is almost impossible to disinfect an enclosure that has been infected. Limiting transport of Deer from infected areas is kind of a no brainer.

I read the protocols for disinfecting for BSE, I know they are similar but not the same. But if they are much the same, this is a really hardy disease and difficult to kill dead dead dead, 900 F for four hours kills it.
MudderChuck is offline  
Old 08-30-2015, 07:55 AM
  #29  
Nontypical Buck
 
rockport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,359
Default

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
One of the bigger problems I've gleaned form reading some, is they just don't know exactly what they are dealing with. The normal progression of the disease is often long term, so the testing to determine simple cause and effect takes a long time. They can speed up the infection process, but studying the natural process can take generations.

Deer population densities are a factor in most, if not all Deer disease.

It seems to stay in the soil for a long time, kind of reminds me of Anthrax, which can lay dormant in the soil a very long time.

In the places where it is endemic, some/most of the surviving Deer likely have some sort of genetic protection. Transporting the disease to places where the Deer don't have this genetic protection is dumb.

Just a random thought that popped into my head, is I wonder if it can't be carried by truck bumpers and trains? They say it is almost impossible to disinfect an enclosure that has been infected. Limiting transport of Deer from infected areas is kind of a no brainer.

I read the protocols for disinfecting for BSE, I know they are similar but not the same. But if they are much the same, this is a really hardy disease and difficult to kill dead dead dead, 900 F for four hours kills it.
Seems like to me that if some deer have a genetic protection it would be wiser to let nature run its course than to create extra hunting seasons to keep population down. I guess I mean it seems like mother nature would take care of itself and basically do a more efficient job of it than man trying to play god.

just a thought....I'm no expert. It just seems like man thinning the herd is not selective of deer that have the genetic protection and mother nature is.

Based on that information it seems its a slow acting disease that mother nature already has her own cure for.
rockport is offline  
Old 08-30-2015, 07:56 AM
  #30  
Nontypical Buck
 
rockport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,359
Default

Originally Posted by gjersy
I wish Wisconsin did have more regulations. Rick Vojtik the deer farm's owner said he never had a deer test positive for CWD before the 7 year old doe did. He did admit he imports deer from other areas including other states, importing deer has lead to spreading CWD. At this deer farm he had 167 deer on 12 acres, Anytime you have that high of a concentration of deer it can't be healthy. And when you have a deer farm with CWD and fences that get knocked down it's not a good combination.
Yeah obviously that is ridiculous and should not be allowed.

That should be common sense. CWD or not that is just asking for trouble.
rockport is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.