HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What kinda crop is this (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/401059-what-kinda-crop.html)

stcspiderman 08-27-2015 04:17 PM

What kinda crop is this

Anyone by chance tell me what kinda crop this is looks like corn pretty short for this time of the year.
Was alfalfa in spring

Topgun 3006 08-27-2015 04:20 PM

Not unless you provide us a picture of what you want us to look at!

gjersy 08-27-2015 05:59 PM

It looks like the corn planter was planting to many corn kernels in each hole and therefore they stunted them. A friend planted some sorghum sudan grass this year, and that looks a lot like young corn also.

super_hunt54 08-27-2015 06:15 PM

Definitely corn, and gjersy looks spot on. I am by far no farmer but I seem to remember our corn plants being around 8 to 10 inches apart at the stalks. never seen 3 or 4 stalks popping up in the same spot. Only crops I deal with is winter wheat, rape, and clover and sometimes soybeans all for my food plots. Gotta keep my deer well fed! Fat and Sassy!

Topgun 3006 08-27-2015 06:23 PM

It's looks like corn and the farmer may have done it on purpose in order to cut it for silage in a month or two before winter hits, as it certainly will not produce a corn crop.

nchawkeye 08-28-2015 02:00 AM

It's corn, looks like it was picked and the farmer didn't have his combine set properly so what you see is what went out the back and sprouted...

What is odd to me, is it seems to be early for them to be picking corn in Minnesota, unless maybe he cut it for silage then the timing is about right...

Was the field planted in corn in the spring??

Wingbone 08-28-2015 03:07 AM

Looks like sorghum to me.

alleyyooper 08-28-2015 03:52 AM

OP said Hay still there in June. State is Minnesota I presume like the OPs location. Hay was taken off then a digger was used and corn planted with a drill rather than a corn planter Some times the sod will get in the drill drop tubes leaving spaces till the sod comes away then several seeds will drop in one place. The farmer will most likely chop it for ensilage just as soon as he can after the first frost.
Farmer has either dairy cattle or runs beef but my guess is dairy.

:D Al

Mojotex 08-28-2015 06:19 AM

I am in with "Ooper". I ahve no idea how soon frost hits up that way, wbut if this stuiff was planted in June it is going to be a push to ear out.

WV Hunter 08-31-2015 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Wingbone (Post 4215344)
Looks like sorghum to me.

I agree. Anytime I've seen a field late in the summer like this, its been sorghum. They look the same initially, hard to tell until the sorghum starts to mature.

I guess you will find out eventually :D