Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Topography Map

Old 08-29-2015, 06:08 AM
Spike

I'm not great with topo maps so i did the best i can. This is my first full season hunting.
Attached Thumbnails Topography Map-topo1112.jpg  
Old 08-29-2015, 06:09 AM
Spike

The white are ridge lines that I KNOW are there. The blue are the trails I am planning on hunting. and the red X's are the stand sites i was planning on using.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use google earth
Old 08-29-2015, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Think about which way the breeze or wind is going to be blowing, morning and evening.

I go out for long walks after a rain and check out the tracks. They are coming from someplace and going somewhere. Pick your head up and look both directions and try to figure out where. It may take awhile, but the ebb and flow will eventually make some sort of sense (except during rutting season)

My two cents on bedding areas. Depends on the lay of the land, but they are almost always within a quarter of a mile from where they have been feeding regularly. Someplace with a front and back door, Deer flee they don't fight. Most always someplace with overhead cover (shade), in a hedge on the side away from the afternoon sun. Often on the high side of a steep bank or a sloping bluff. There is often more than one, but near to each other (hundred yards or less). The exception is a Doe with fawn will often find a low spot in high grass to bed down, even out in the middle of an open area with no brush cover, just high grass. There are always exceptions, but if I am scouting for a bedding area, a hedge or brush on the high side of a steep slope is where I look first.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:48 AM
Spike

Well there is a spot where it shows that there is a river connecting the two ponds. But that river dried up when they broke the dam at blue pond. So that's all marshy area now. And there are two VERY steep sloped ridges that kind of funnel the deer through. I noticed that some deer do attempt to go up the slope, but most sign was down on the edges. And a few tracks going through the mud from one side to the other. I mean its not a TON of sign but i mean that seems to be where the sign is.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wind will definitely be a deciding factor but as the season goes on and the temps start dropping you will probably see more activity on the left side of the lake then the right. See many deer in the mornings getting warmed in the morning sunlight on a cold day, which means less energy they expend staying warm.

Spit balling here but these are areas I see, but my primary experience deals with pretty flat land so take what I say with a grain of salt. Other could chime in with more experience.
Attached Thumbnails Topography Map-stand-sites.jpg  
Old 08-31-2015, 06:13 AM
Spike

This is very helpful. One of your stand sights reflects one of mine. And one is a little more north of one of mine. But not too far off. I put mine in the middle of funnels as well as near water. Because we have acorns out the BUTT in this area. What were the factors that lead you to choose those sights?
Old 08-31-2015, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I focused on the left of pong due to early morning sunlight as mentioned.

The arrow (pointing down) at the bottom I chose because the topo shows this area as probably the widest but flattest area between the two hills. I can't see from Google very well but the woods look fairly denser in this section then in most of the other areas, possible bedding sites, water source (from Blue Pond to Ashville Pond) which will support a far more denser vegetation for food sources.

The up pointing arrow, I chose as the topo looks good for a funnel point, but I chose that specific point because that is where the wider flat narrows into the dried up water source between those two lakes.

The right pointing arrow I chose because the area looks to be a flatter section that follows along the pond. Speculation on my part but would think either this spot or the top of the hill will be where deer traverse from the north of the pond to the south. While the lines are close and it looks steeper because of this the I can only guess. The two dark lines are steep(ish) climb from 250' to 300' but doesn't show that it declines to the 200's so it looks like a small hill with maybe a 20-30' from the 250' line to the shoreline. This one is speculation on my part and hopefully the wiser more experienced posters would chime in on thoughts.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wasn't suggesting they go all the way to the top of a mountain to sleep. To be a bit more specific, *often* they find a small slope or even a fairly flat section of a larger slope and bed down in the cover at the top edge. In other words they can flee left, right, flatter section and downhill. *Often* someplace with a view.

When they go up hill they tend to go on the diagonal and there is often well worn trails.

I read someplace that they tend to find higher spots with fewer biting flies. Don't know for sure, but this does seem reasonable. It may be more likely that they pick a spot to optimize escape routes.

I guess a lot depends on the weather.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:00 AM
Spike

No i understand Mudder. lol I didn't mean to make it sound that dramatic lol. There are just a couple of good ridges that line the marsh/old river making it a perfect natural funnel. I am actually really excited to see what my trail cams picked up. And i may spend a day in the tree stand to see exactly what may be around for me to get a shot at come opening day. Unfortunately i wont get out until around the 23rd of September. I am just looking for some info to help me kind of get a good idea of where i want to try to settle down for a week or two. And all of the information that i have been given has been a huge help. It has reinforced my current decisions on where to put my stands up, as well as give me a couple of other options in case the original plan falls apart. If anyone else has any other information, i would love to hear it. And maybe even be willing to send some back straps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.