Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Topography Map

Old 08-28-2015, 09:04 AM
Spike

Thank you for your insight. There is a spot where i plan on putting a stand. Its in between two VERY steep drop offs. Seems to be pretty good deer sign. Bot a ton of skat or anything but i get some prints in the marsh that used to be a flowing river. So i mean i think I am going to be in a good spot. I just need for the spot to produce like i want it too. On top of it im hunting out of state in Connecticut and my girlfriend will kill me if i spend 125$ on a license and don't bring anything home lol
Old 08-28-2015, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can help you out much without an aerial to go with the topo
Old 08-29-2015, 03:13 AM
Spike

This is the google map view
Attached Thumbnails Topography Map-screen-shot-2015-08-29-7.09.30-am.jpg  
Old 08-29-2015, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jrichard6817
For some reason its not allowing me to upload the google maps with the terrain. But this is a topo map I am going by. I wish i could show the google maps with the terrain. Because then i could show you where i am thinking of possibly putting my tree stands.
Can you mark the map where you put your stands?

This is also a good book:

Amazon Amazon
Old 08-29-2015, 04:59 AM
Spike

This is where i plan on putting my stands. The river that runs through is all dried up. Its a marshy area now but there isn't much for them to drink. So I am trying to put my stand in a spot where I can intercept them when they are getting water.
Attached Thumbnails Topography Map-stands.jpg  
Old 08-29-2015, 05:04 AM
Spike

this may be bigger....i hope
Attached Thumbnails Topography Map-stands2.jpg  
Old 08-29-2015, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

The pictures aren't working. Also, it would be better (for me) if you marked your stand locations on the topo map.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Scout the area real good. look for old rubs, look for funnels those spots where a finger of land sticks out into a field and across the field a tiny bit is a similar finger sticking out, My brother hunts a funnel that is high ground only 30 feet wide between to marshy ponds. I hunt a funnel that is a long finger going slowly down a hill and a long slow finger going up the other side which are easier to climb than the hills around. I also hunt a point of a cedar swamp that sticks out into a cranberry bog with the same thing 50 yards across the bog. Deer have a trail thru there that is wore 6 inches deep.
Search for bedding areas don't set up right on top of the area but search for trailed to it that are heavy used. Same with food sources search for the trails to and from the area.

Don't be afraid to go sit in your stands well before the season just stay away for a while before the season opens. After the season while the trails are still smoking hot from the season scout again. Watch for those lightly use trails off to the side of those heavy wore down trails too.

Al
Old 08-29-2015, 05:49 AM
Spike

Default Al

Thank you Al! I have been scouting, but I am having a TERRIBLE time finding bedding areas. That's the only thing that's eluding me. I found TONS of acorns, a good amount of scat, some tracks in the marshy areas. Some hidden trails that are in HEAVY brush. But not thickets, its more of a viney area. I have no clue where to put the tree stand.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a picture. Take this and mark your stands. Mark the trails you found.
Attached Thumbnails Topography Map-rsma.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.