Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Topography Map

Old 08-27-2015, 05:59 AM
Spike

Default Topography Map

Would anyone be willing to help me out with figuring out if my locations for my tree stands are good or a flop? I have a few different maps i am going by.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sure would

I'm sure some will disagree but map evaluation is a huge tool for hunting mature deer (assuming that is what you are after)
Old 08-27-2015, 02:17 PM
Spike

Yeah, i just don't know what the best spot would be. I need help reviewing the maps
Old 08-27-2015, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well show us your maps and give us a prevailing wind direction.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was starting to wonder if my computer was not showing a link or a pic or something. Kinda hard to read a topo without a topo!
Old 08-27-2015, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I was starting to wonder if my computer was not showing a link or a pic or something. Kinda hard to read a topo without a topo!
I wondered the same thing.

We need a topo and an aerial
Old 08-28-2015, 05:20 AM
Spike

i attached them in the original. its showing me they are there. Ill try to make the file smaller it may be too big.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jrichard6817
i attached them in the original. its showing me they are there. Ill try to make the file smaller it may be too big.
Still nothing on my end.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:33 AM
Spike

For some reason its not allowing me to upload the google maps with the terrain. But this is a topo map I am going by. I wish i could show the google maps with the terrain. Because then i could show you where i am thinking of possibly putting my tree stands.
Attached Thumbnails Topography Map-huntingland1.pdf  
Old 08-28-2015, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here;s a general comment, regardless of terrain. This is coming from an old far# that has hunted white tail deer in the SE USA for 50+ years. We do not have any severe terrain, however we do have some pretty steep "hollers" with elevation chan ges 200-300 feet or more. We do not have harsh winters. Food usually stays plentiful year round.

Where I hunt is some 3000+ acres of planted pines, mostly thinnned with several SMZ's along the several creeks that cross the property. the seer can bed about anywhere on the place and be "safe'. After 13 years of hunting this property, I have yet to determine a definite bedding pattern.

The number one thinkgI would scout for are food sources ... acorn producing oaks, soft mast such as persimmons and mulberries, browse .... such as honey suckle, "wait-a-minute" vines, etc. These are great early season spots. And sometimes acorns are around in later dates as well.

If you have creeks on the place, searchr these for crossings. I have found that deer tend to travel the same aporximate routes year after year. A good ambush spot are these crossings.

Also look for what most of us refer to as natural funnels. Deer will usually ease along the side slopes or ridges, and work their way through these narrows as they move about.

Be sure to find the thick stuff. Around where I hunt, the deer hole up in the thick stuff, especially when being pressured. Our season is 3 1/2 montsh long with liberal limits, so pressure is definitely an issue.

And be extremely mindful of of how to get in and out using the sind's direction to help get in as undetected as practidcal.

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.