Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Ultimate deer bait/attractant - PLEASE HELP >

Ultimate deer bait/attractant - PLEASE HELP

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ultimate deer bait/attractant - PLEASE HELP

Old 08-24-2015, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default Ultimate deer bait/attractant - PLEASE HELP

Hello everyone,

It's been a few years since I've been on, but I could use a little help. My property is located very near to a small town and several subdivisions. The deer don't use my place as bedding or feeding. It is used strictly for travel. With that in mind, my property receives very erratic deer activity. Due to the lay of the land, the deer don't use the same sets of trails, consistently, as they would in other places. The area of travel changes like the weather. Almost impossible to set up an ambush position.

With all this in mind, I have set up several blinds and hunt over bait and attractant. Yes it's legal where I hunt. I know there is controversy over baiting, but if you don't agree with it then please don't comment. I am not trying to start a baiting war. I am asking if anyone has used an "ace in the hole" attractant that could help pull a few deer in?

I know that nothing is full proof, but some things (that I may not have heard of or considered) may help me out. Any suggestions appreciated. I thought of a combination of vanilla/apple scent...but don't really know how to go about making an attractant. Any suggestions?

Thanks to everyone.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

You can never go wrong with plain ole corn! Haha but if you're wanting something that has a sweet smell to it, I've always had good luck with horse sweet feed. An added benefit is it has a good bit of crude protein!
Old 08-24-2015, 02:27 PM
Spike

Default Landscaping

You could always focus more on the land management side of the problem and create a more easily traveled trail across your property. Looking at it from a deers standpoint try to map out a good trail running in the direction that the deer naturally move. Look at topographical features of the property that will keep the deer hidden as they pass across your property. You can compress most if not all of the trails in that area down to one. Once this is completed and a good transition area is made find a spot where the deer can see for several yards and put your corn pile there. Deer like to be able to see as they are feeding. If you do a little "landscaping" and keep your corn out consistently you should have better success.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I am in Michigan also and know there is a AMOUNT restrictions over a area I think 10 sq ft.

With that in mind shelled corn will fill a 2 gallon pail fuller than carrots, sugar beets and apples.
But there are things which people have found that work well. One guy I worked with used a Kraut cutter to slice all his sugar beets and carrots. More fit in the pail and he claimed the deer liked it that way better.
You live so close to Shelby town ship and Romeo where all those apple cider mills are. Stop in and see about getting the pulp that is left.

Corn sugar beets and carrots hold up the freezing better to. My neighbor has a feeder set up on a timer deer hear that thing go off and they start heading to it.

Al
Old 08-25-2015, 12:21 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Corn with apples, mixed, works well. All deer naturally take to apples. And quickly to corn. To attract them in, smash an apple or two on a tree trunk.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you have bears in your area? We can't bait in PA but out stuff out in front of our cams in the off-season. The stronger the smell, the more bears. Even plain old corn draws in bears. If you have 1000 pictures on a week sit, 800 will be bears.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:06 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by MISwampDog
Hello everyone,

It's been a few years since I've been on, but I could use a little help. My property is located very near to a small town and several subdivisions. The deer don't use my place as bedding or feeding. It is used strictly for travel. With that in mind, my property receives very erratic deer activity. Due to the lay of the land, the deer don't use the same sets of trails, consistently, as they would in other places. The area of travel changes like the weather. Almost impossible to set up an ambush position.

With all this in mind, I have set up several blinds and hunt over bait and attractant. Yes it's legal where I hunt. I know there is controversy over baiting, but if you don't agree with it then please don't comment. I am not trying to start a baiting war. I am asking if anyone has used an "ace in the hole" attractant that could help pull a few deer in?

I know that nothing is full proof, but some things (that I may not have heard of or considered) may help me out. Any suggestions appreciated. I thought of a combination of vanilla/apple scent...but don't really know how to go about making an attractant. Any suggestions?

Thanks to everyone.
Look up ConQuest 200 in your state. Deer herd in a stick. You wont find a better attractant. Its plays on the deer's need to check out the new guys in town. It smells like deer because it comes from deer. It is not a sex attractant. Straight from the deer farm and in your own state. You wont find fresher!

Be careful of using corn. You very well could be hand feeding the herd CWD. Farmers in CWD positive states are sending corn and hay all across the country and are most likely spreading the prions right along with it.

Last edited by BigTime1; 08-26-2015 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

Im gunna try to respond to everyone that commented. As far as the corn, I do use corn. No bears, but with the amount of chipmunks, squirrels, raccoons, etc they seem to eat it all before the deer can find it. The pulp idea is a good idea. I never thought of that or shaving down the beets and carrots. The landscaping idea is a good one. I have multiple "I-75" deer runs through my property. I looked at the topography and have made travel routes. I also place my bait piles in areas where the deer can see for a distance. Ive done everything I can think of and most everything that has been suggested. The deer aren't reading the script..lol.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Did anyone say; apples, corn or soy beans yet ??
Old 08-30-2015, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MISwampDog
Im gunna try to respond to everyone that commented. As far as the corn, I do use corn. No bears, but with the amount of chipmunks, squirrels, raccoons, etc they seem to eat it all before the deer can find it. The pulp idea is a good idea. I never thought of that or shaving down the beets and carrots. The landscaping idea is a good one. I have multiple "I-75" deer runs through my property. I looked at the topography and have made travel routes. I also place my bait piles in areas where the deer can see for a distance. Ive done everything I can think of and most everything that has been suggested. The deer aren't reading the script..lol.
You have done about everything possible. Deer rarely read the script. It's why it's called hunting and not shooting! Deer are lazy creatures in all reality. They will almost always take the easiest travel path. It kind of sounds like you have too many easy travel paths! Getting them to take any one of them in particular will be difficult at best. You didn't mention the acreage of this particular place. Would it be feasible to plant maybe an acre or 2 of food plots? It's really too late now for this year but maybe next year get a jump on it. In other words, make your property a food source destination. Early planting of a clover field is fairly inexpensive and really helps in the recovery of deer after a hard winter. Might accidentally get your property to hold a few deer that way. But it will most probably get them traveling in a more established route.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.