Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Family time / Hunting time

Old 07-23-2015, 06:22 PM
Spike

Default Family time / Hunting time

I need some advice from the only people that would understand my situation. How do you guys manage your family time with you hunting time. I have a one year old son and I'm not sure how I can manage my time wisely to be able to spend time with him and my wife as well as spending time in the woods. My question is how do you family men manage family time with hunting time?
Old 07-23-2015, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just like you, your wife needs to be passionate about "something" other than being part of THE Family.

................. and you need to be supportive !

It's all about ENJOYING life !!! :-)
Old 07-23-2015, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Just like you, your wife needs to be passionate about "something" other than being part of THE Family
I tell my wife that and she says nope...that is her passion. That is all she wants.

I had problems with girls I dated when younger but not now with my wife no problems at all. I'm pretty sure they enjoy my absence for a day or 2 here and there.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
I tell my wife that and she says nope...that is her passion. That is all she wants.

I had problems with girls I dated when younger but not now with my wife no problems at all. I'm pretty sure they enjoy my absence for a day or 2 here and there.
My wife can't keep from putting a boot to my butt getting me out of the house fast enough! Her exact words are "Get the hell out of here so I can have me some piece and quiet" (actually not her exact words but her more "colorful" words can't be posted on a family forum) but we have also been married for over 35 years now. Back in the dark ages when we first got together and had our first "spawn" I was like you, not sure what to do, but eventually I figured it out. Time to yourself can be JUST as, if not MORE important than "family togetherness". No worries mate, that little critter will be "huntin age" before you know it and will be begging to hit the woods with pappy!
Old 07-24-2015, 01:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I had a deal with my wife. I ain't going shopping with you in any type of mall. I also under stand You ain't going out in any bug infested woods to hunt.
We went our separate ways during hunting time. I took the kids out to the hunting fields as soon as they could be carried papoose style. Later in life they decided they didn't want to hunt either.
We still had our together time family vacations during the spring summer and winter. The fall it was under stood was my ME time.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 07-25-2015 at 04:39 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I plan all my hunting time way in advance, but if something big arises I may have to stay home. It's almost always one weekend in Sept, a weekend plus the last week of October and then about a ten day span the second week of Nov. After that if I have tags left, maybe a weekend later in Nov or Dec. There are usually a few other days during the week that I get out, but those don't really count since she's at work and my daughter is in school. My wife won't go with, but my daughter (9) has really started taking an interest and will probably go with me for 2 of the wknds this year.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:59 AM
Spike

I've got a 2.5 year old boy and a 4 month old boy, so my situation has been similar the past few years. I just accept that my hunting time will be limited for the next few years. I get out to archery hunt about one evening a week during season, and save a vacation day for the rifle opener. In a few years I'll have little guys tagging along with me sometimes, and when I do go out on my own they'll at least be potty trained and hopefully easier for my wife to manage alone.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dwm4375
I've got a 2.5 year old boy and a 4 month old boy, so my situation has been similar the past few years. I just accept that my hunting time will be limited for the next few years. I get out to archery hunt about one evening a week during season, and save a vacation day for the rifle opener. In a few years I'll have little guys tagging along with me sometimes, and when I do go out on my own they'll at least be potty trained and hopefully easier for my wife to manage alone.
dwm, it seems to escape the minds of men nowadays but here is a fact for you. Women have been "managing children alone" for Millennia. The women nowadays have figured out that they can "manage" US making us think they can't handle the children for a few days while we hunt! Call it sexist or whatever but men are made to HUNT. It's in our DNA. Men hunt and gather while the women watch the kids! (Boy am I gonna get an earfull when my spitfire wife see's this)
Old 07-24-2015, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
dwm, it seems to escape the minds of men nowadays but here is a fact for you. Women have been "managing children alone" for Millennia. The women nowadays have figured out that they can "manage" US making us think they can't handle the children for a few days while we hunt! Call it sexist or whatever but men are made to HUNT. It's in our DNA. Men hunt and gather while the women watch the kids! (Boy am I gonna get an earfull when my spitfire wife see's this)
My wife has no problem with that what so ever. She likes it that way.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
My wife has no problem with that what so ever. She likes it that way.
Eh mine does too but she likes to give me hell any chance she gets. Keeps me in "line" that way ya know

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.