Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is a " mast crop" ?

Old 10-15-2003, 03:47 AM

Default What is a " mast crop" ?

I got a question. I see some folks talking about a poor " mast crop" for this year and how it affects hunting. What exactly is a " mast crop" ? And why does it negatively affect deer hunting in the fall?

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland
Old 10-15-2003, 03:54 AM

Default RE: What is a " mast crop" ?

" Mast Crop" , is refering to the amount of acrons that are produced by the oak trees. A bad " mast crop" would mean not many acorns this year. Deer thrive on natural forage (also know as browse) when they are pressured and don' t have access to food plots or crop fields.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Mast generally refers to wild forage .
Old 10-15-2003, 06:29 AM

I' m no expert but I' ve always believed mast to be natural browse as well. Mushrooms, acorns, grasses, clover, vines. Basically anything they' re not getting out of a crop field.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:03 AM

Mast is nuts. Specifically, it is the nuts from trees. Browse on the other hand is twigs and branches that deer cklip off with their teeth.

Mast crops, acorns mainly, make up almost 80% of the deers diet during years of a heay mast crop. Different oak trees have different cycles and they may have a crop of acorns every year, every other year, or every third year. The deer respond by feeding on what is available in order of preference. The favorite is the white-oak the least favorite in my estimation is the rock oak, those big round ones. They have more tanic acic making them bitter. Go ahead, try one! During poor years or years with low mast crops, finding a tree that is producing is a blesssing. That tree will get hit hard because deer want those acorns. The nuts are almost all fat.

Greg
Old 10-15-2003, 07:09 AM

Mast crop means the same thing as a bumper crop, alot of acorns mainly. Thats what it is called in the south. i like years where there is NOT a mast crop due to deer are alot easier to pattern. It is this way this year in GA not many acorns but the trees that have them it is a sorgasboard. Deer have to move more also Easy pickings, hope this helped,
Old 10-15-2003, 11:41 AM

Like others have said, mast is simply another name for nuts/acorns.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:16 AM

Thanks you for explaining the term to me. Good luck to you all...

Kindest Regards.

-Will in Maryland
Old 10-17-2003, 07:59 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-17-2003, 04:22 PM

With all the rain we had a few uears ago my plants produced a mast crop with long buds. [&:]

Quick Reply: What is a " mast crop" ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.