HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Do deer see blaze orange? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/40024-do-deer-see-blaze-orange.html)

Nathan67 10-14-2003 11:03 PM

Do deer see blaze orange?

I know this might seem like a stupid question, but it seems pointless to get all decked out in camo to blend in and then strap on a huge orange vest unless deer are colorblind. What is their vision like?

SchuylkillOutdoorsman 10-15-2003 03:45 AM

RE: Do deer see blaze orange?

I guess nobody reallyknows if they are colorblind, we dont see threw deers eyes. All the studies done suggest that they are, but I believe that fl. orange stands out. If I do have to wear it I wear camo orange, so the outline is broken somewhat. The biggest thing deer notice is movement you could have the best camo on and if your moving they will spot ya.

Smitty_nc1 10-15-2003 04:00 AM

They detect outlines. Thats why most of us try to wear camo. But when it comes to gun season I think most people would be stupid not to wear some blaze orange in the hunting woods. In NC state law requires you to wear a Bl Orange hat. Its a good law.

kevin1 10-15-2003 04:46 AM

There' s a thread titled " Understanding deer vision" in TR Michels forum .

wvvet 10-15-2003 11:39 AM

Recent studies done at the University of Georgia have showed that deer do in fact see colors, BUT it is more towards the ultraviolet end of the spectrum. In other words, they can see purples and blues very well. On the other hand, they can' t see the infrared end of the spectrum very well. This is where you find your oranges and reds. To them orange and red looks like brown/grey, which is what most everything in the woods look like to them. In other words, they can' t tell the difference between orange and brown. They can see solid objects (almost nothing in nature is a solid one-color), however, so if you wear orange, its best to get some type of orange breakup/camoflage.

stubblejumper 10-15-2003 06:59 PM

Look at a black and white picture and orange still stands out from the natural colors.

Split-Hoof 10-15-2003 07:13 PM

I have read up on the research, but I still believe deer have a very hard time seeing blaze orange. They can see movement very well, as well as outlines and solid colors. When I break up my form with surrounding brush, deer don' t spot me unless I move.

25lieb 10-15-2003 11:33 PM

In illinois for shotgun season you must have 400(?) square inches of orange plus an orange hat. it must be solid orange. so basically you need a 20x20 inch square of orange. but you know what, id rather go in a completely orange suit than anyhting during shotgun season. I dont know about you but i dont like getting shot at, never had it happen and dont want it to happen.

HuntinInmates 10-15-2003 11:45 PM

....but I believe that fl. orange stands out. If I do have to wear it I wear camo orange
That' s all fine and dandy if camo orange is legal in your state. It happens to be in MO it' s outlawed.

SchuylkillOutdoorsman 10-16-2003 02:26 AM

That' s all fine and dandy if camo orange is legal in your state. It happens to be in MO it' s outlawed.
If orange camo is not legal then I suggest getting some cover in front of you to help break up your outline.